noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I am sure most, or at least some have seen the roumors about Intel possibly seeking to purchase Nvidia.

Here are some interesting points on that subject, Nvidia EOL thier 200b (thats 55nm) cards except the 295. Nvidia hasn't released thier answer to ATI 58XX cards, ultimately leaving Nvidia with less production and income.

Intel needs a good graphic processor for thier cpu/gpu. Laurabee seems to be ... well slow. Intel obvously doesn't care about anyone or any monopoly rules.

In order for Intel to be able to consider the purchase, they have to be able to afford it, and at Nvidia's current income, they are losing money with thier gt300 research and fab failures.

The purchase has to be approved, in order for that to happen, ATI has to have market share. With nothing being released, they will get that.

So ... is Nvidia purposely sabotaging thier company in order to be able to sell, or are they just in a slump?

Personally I hope for the latter because we don't need another way for Intel to find thier ultimate goal of world domination (or damnation.)

No chance in hell of intel buying nVidia. I dont think they have the assets to do it anyway at this time. nVidia is just aimed at a different target than ATI right now, they started with a GPU and are trying to make it a CPU too, intel is going the other way. nVidia will get their stuff out in a month or two, no one ever got too freaked out when ATI was late on new parts, nVidia was bound to be late eventually.

Care to post some links to articles to even back up those rumors? I havent heard anything about them.

intel has the ability; they have almost as much cash on hand as nVidia is worth and make almost as much revenue per quarter than AMD & nVidia are worth together.

But there's no motivation to get nV, it's a stuggling company on a downward slop, not upward, so buying them now makes little sense, they aren't a fire sale. No point in moving until the stock drops even more, then it might make sense, and even then only if there's no better options.

And intel GPUs are actually more than capable for the market they want which are the low end and business.

From a design perspective buying S3 makes more sense than nVidia, equal design options, and more experience in DX10.1, and little of the headaches of a large company like nVidia, which would require layoffs galore.

And most importantly, not having to deal with JHH, which is priceless.

BTW, EOL of the other parts means the GT295 is EOL as well, it's not it's own chip, it relies on the others to 'live', so it's EOL too.

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
Its funny how after the ati 5xxx series came out people on these threads are starting to believe nvidia is going to just die off. All companies have there bright and dark years. Perfect example the athlon destroyed the p4 for quite some time now its the other way around. Everyone thought Ati was going to sink with the release of hd2xxx series. Intel wont buy nvidia because i doubt they are willing to sell.

I don't see where anyone said they were going to die off, the implication is there sometimes, but like ATi you buy when it's beneficial (AMD and intel were interested in buying ATi when it was doing well, just an opportunity).

If you have issue with the logic of intel buying nVidia that would be alot more interesting than talking about people believing that nVidia is going to die off, because even the OP was more asking if they were sand-bagging or in a slump, not dieing-off.

There's lotsa reasons this deal would make sense, and also not be good timing, and also other things that make it a worse deal than if it were months ago.

But it's not just the HD5xxx series that changes that, it's alot of issues on nV's side of the equation that make it less valuabel as an acquisition target than previous, the only thing on the plus side is if intel sees value in nV's Fermi design, which may be the case, but sofar most people don't see the Fermi as a major competitor for Larrabee or Terascale solutions, so even that would seem less valuable than the graphics segment, where really they were more attractive months ago when they were much cheaper to buy.

This all assumes that the regulators would allow it, not that nV wants to sell (it's a public company, it's up to the shareholders not JHH, he can oly advise the shareholders what to do, and as someone who recently dumped alot of shares I would take his advice on what to do with them if Iwere still holding them.

Harrisson

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
There were strong rumors Nvidia wants to sell itself to Intel before, they declined. If Intel havent bought during time Nvidia dominated, and instead invested n $ in Larrabee (would I go too far saying its a billion $? Give or take some). Whats the point of buying now? Nvidia's gpu share is going down, entire markets are kicking it out like a step-child, patents are still useful, but not as much as before. Intel would significantly overpay, would scrap most of Nvidia portfolio anyway, and still face monopoly regulators. Whats the point? In the Intel place I would wait till Nvidia share's would worth fraction of todays value, and buy out then.

And think about it, nVidia's share price is twice that which it was ($8) last year, 9 months ago and even 6 months ago, all of which had a brighter future and more market share than now.

Why pay twice the price for less?

Well no more so when the ATi buyout rumours started floating around years back, which actually started with intel's interest in ATi before AMD's (who were interested in nV until the JHH show started, which is what did it for intel a year ago], so it's not like even this isn't plausible, it's just with a little of the wind out of the sails people think it's time buy nV, when in fact it's way overpriced compared to what it was, and no question in a worse situation than it was (not dieing, but worse of for sure).

I'm assuming you meant 'nV is going to get "destroyed"' or maybe that's your inner nV fanboi wish for that to happen instead. JK :kaola:

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008

Oh haha my bad meant to say Nvidia. Im no fanboy of either company i want both companies to die and S3 Graphics to rule. =P

TRENDING THREADS