Intel Officially Introduces 7-Inch "Studybook" Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

lahawzel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
"It is designed to withstand accidental drops from a standard student desk and is also water- and dust- resistant."

Why isn't this standard for tablets nowadays? I'd take ruggedness over "extremely innovative and original features" like 2048x1536 screens any day.

mb2bm55

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
"rough adolescent handling..."

LOl wanted to be the first one to quote that. Hopefully this phrasing doesn't catch on with big corporations

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]sidkof[/nom]my best friend's sister makes $77 hourly on the internet[/citation]
On the internet... Probably by showing pictures of herself. You mad son?

Now.. Back on topic..
It would be nice if they made these for things OTHER than educational purposes.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
The Atom processor is x86 and with the Win7 (which is x86 only), you should be able to run all x86 applications. It is also, therefore, ready for Win8

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
am i the only one that thinks that maybe a 4:3 aspect ration might be better for this purpose? well, of course, doing so invites lawsuits from Apple

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
omg;intel 'invents' something the chinese have been producing for the past 5 years!
I don't like the name and will never call it that!

It's just a 7" tablet, no need for a different name, than an 8 or 10" version of it!

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
You know Im no fan of apple but if they were to add gorilla glass 2 to their ipad no one would be complaining. Will they ever do that no of course not... but if a frog had wings...

And the Z650 doesnt do 64bit like the higher end models... not that you NEED 64bit on a tablet but if you have a chip that can do it why not use it?

They really need to call a 7 inch thingy something else and not a Tablet :(
But the jobs a sweet looking all in one sort of thing for the kids. Hopefully it ought to be cheap enough for the poorest of people to afford and then........... bang. It'll see sales like nothing before.

G

It will run x86 apps just fine. Jesus people. It isn't a gaming platform. Apps like Excel and Word and simple little classroom type apps and web apps will run fine on it. It is made for simple stuff, not super complex stuff. This is tablet hardware.

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
Given the measly specs, I fully expect it's battery to hold for at least 6 hours. Otherwise, there will be new popular sports in schools:

- Battle for the Socket
- King of the Plug
- Power Masters
- Cord Champions
- Infinite Adapter

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]mcd023[/nom]am i the only one that thinks that maybe a 4:3 aspect ration might be better for this purpose? well, of course, doing so invites lawsuits from Apple[/citation]

Wow and how is 4:3 more than 16:10 or even 16:9?
4:3=1.333333...
16:10=1.6
and because of 1.6 > 1.3 thus 16:10 = 4:3 :D

You have no clue what you are talking about do you? If 22" at 16:9 is not big enough for you just get a bigger display with higher resolution, you smart guy!

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
maybe xp much more suitable for this hardware.. but really, x86 tablet much more interesting (to me) than arm based. because i can program it myself, so much more freedom and much more functional. think this tablet and tandem with desktop,, you need no wii-u anymore... hehe. just look forward for atom get more matured.

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Fek this Intel project. Available in selected classroms and all. I am studying part time and don't have €1000 to spend on ultrabooks or €500 on any other cheapo Android stuff. Where is a sub €500 touchscreen notebook with pen support running Windows 7? And don't give me Acer crap..

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
@edvinasm

I have an Acer W500 since summer 2011. I find it hugely useful, although it's true, it misses a pen or a digitizer. I had Win8 Dev Preview on it and now runs Win8 Consumer. If u get over the shock of Metro and the half-baked apps (which can be disabled) it makes a better (faster) OS for it.

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
[citation][nom]archange[/nom]@edvinasmI have an Acer W500 since summer 2011. I find it hugely useful, although it's true, it misses a pen or a digitizer. I had Win8 Dev Preview on it and now runs Win8 Consumer. If u get over the shock of Metro and the half-baked apps (which can be disabled) it makes a better (faster) OS for it.[/citation]

I just have this fear of ACER, HP and Toshiba. For a reason in most cases (no offence to anyone). Lenovo went the right direction towards it but it feels that there is just not enough demand for that type of product. No wonder it did not pick up that fast, tablets with functions I need still cost ~€1000.
Windows 8 is no probs for me. I have Windows Phone 7.5 and kind of got used to it. As for tabs on PC they will have to go definitely as I need to multi-task better and faster (excel and word multiple files open anyone?). Rumour has it that once Windows 8 spreads these types of devices (that I am looking for) will become popular.

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]archange[/nom]@edvinasmI have an Acer W500 since summer 2011. I find it hugely useful, although it's true, it misses a pen or a digitizer. I had Win8 Dev Preview on it and now runs Win8 Consumer. If u get over the shock of Metro and the half-baked apps (which can be disabled) it makes a better (faster) OS for it.[/citation]

Totally right. Just uninstall the metro apps, and Win8 is good to go.
I don't know what those guys were smoking when they decided that metro was "good" for touch. It's not.

stinkyfax

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
[citation][nom]LaHawzel[/nom]"It is designed to withstand accidental drops from a standard student desk and is also water- and dust- resistant."Why isn't this standard for tablets nowadays? I'd take ruggedness over "extremely innovative and original features" like 2048x1536 screens any day.[/citation]Well, I for instance prefer twice thinner tablet/ultrabook than ability to withstand throws into a wall. But certainly almost everyone had their phone fall at least once

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Windows 7? Really? I'm not impressed by W7 on a tablet, personally...just doesn't work well. Put that on a low end netbook, fine...give it a touch screen, great. But touch exclusively on W7 doesn't work well for me.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
[citation][nom]zhihao50[/nom]Depends on your expectation of performance. It will run x86 program, just not well. Metro apps might be more suitable.[/citation]

...metro needs 1024x768 // 600 won't cut it. i just fought that battle with putting w8 on a hp slate 500. finally got the device to display at 768 using some built-in interpolated mode the degrades performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.