nclfernando

Prominent
Nov 10, 2018
I'm about to plan my storage and there was a lot of option to consider and I refused the SSHD option for my gaming/data storage. M.2 NVMe will be my system boot drive so we don't wanna talk about that but instead my data storage needs. I think I've come to my last option: should I use Intel Optane + 5400rpm 4TB HDD or with 7200rpm 3TB? To be specific, it's Seagate Barracuda and they don't have 4TB 7200rpm here. I've considered WD Blue but it only offers 1TB for 7200rpm class hard drive and I need a (seriously) lot of space. The point is, is there much performance difference between 5400rpm and 7200rpm with or without Optane? I mean are the existence of big ass storages (4TB, 6TB, 10TB) but with slower 5400rpm worthy and 'necessary'?

I know there's WD Black which would suit the best for my combo with 7200rpm and big space offer but it wouldn't suit my wallet atm.

And is Optane just works for 1 hard drive even if I have 3 hard drives? If that so, future upgrades will replacing the hard drive instead of adding hard drives.

Last question: Will Optane work with i5-9600K? I heard one of the requirements is an i7 minimum and don't know whether it's true.

Solution
For Optane, don't bother. I'd ask you to look into a separate SSD for your game library. Might also want to parse your system's specs in case you don't have the necessary slots for an Optane drive.

nclfernando

Prominent
Nov 10, 2018
For Optane, don't bother. I'd ask you to look into a separate SSD for your game library. Might also want to parse your system's specs in case you don't have the necessary slots for an Optane drive.

I'm not sure 500GB SSD would fit my games since 1TB SSD is way more expensive here. But maybe that would be a good option too for adding extra library.