[SOLVED] Intel Optane, replacing HDD

jpriede9

Prominent
May 18, 2019
Hey Guys,

I have a laptop and the hard drive I have is shot. When taking my Solid State out of my desktop to put in my laptop, I just get a black loading screen that lasted overnight so I think its getting stuck somewhere in boot.

Considering the Solid State from my desktop has never seen a intel optane and it is not wiped, could this be causing it? I am not sure why the black loading screen when my Solid State works normal in my desktop.
I added a lack of details because I am confident all other parts are working, if you guys think some additional info could help please let me know. Thank you.

Solution
I have moved drives between desktops numerous times without ever ANY issues, interesting.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it fails.
Even between desktops.
Even between laptops.

Desktop to laptop? Thats gonna fail.

And sometimes, trying to make itself work in the new system screws it up just enough so that it doesn't work in its original system either.

USAFRet

Titan
Hey Guys,

I have a laptop and the hard drive I have is shot. When taking my Solid State out of my desktop to put in my laptop, I just get a black loading screen that lasted overnight so I think its getting stuck somewhere in boot.

Considering the Solid State from my desktop has never seen a intel optane and it is not wiped, could this be causing it? I am not sure why the black loading screen when my Solid State works normal in my desktop.
I added a lack of details because I am confident all other parts are working, if you guys think some additional info could help please let me know. Thank you.
Taking the OS drive out of a desktop and putting it in a laptop?
And expecting it to boot up?

What does Optane have to do with this?

Very unclear...more details please.

jpriede9

Prominent
May 18, 2019
Taking the OS drive out of a desktop and putting it in a laptop?
And expecting it to boot up?

What does Optane have to do with this?

Very unclear...more details please.
Its a windows 10 drive to a windows 10 laptop, I thought optane could relate to this because I know it has a relation to your storage device.
Would a drive installed with windows 10 on a desktop not boot up on a windows 10 laptop? I didnt think the surrounding hardware would matter.

jpriede9

Prominent
May 18, 2019
A Windows install is NOT modular. Moving it between systems often fails.
Moving between a desktop and a laptop, that fail is almost guaranteed.
I have moved drives between desktops numerous times without ever ANY issues, interesting.

Thats unfortunate then. In order to disable the intel optane, I will need to purchase a clean drive just to get in and disable it before I can install a nvme. Oof.

USAFRet

Titan
Even between desktops.
Even between laptops.

And sometimes, trying to make itself work in the new system screws it up just enough so that it doesn't work in its original system either.

Solution

jpriede9

Prominent
May 18, 2019
Even between desktops.
Even between laptops.

I thought about how it could potentially screw it up, I know thats why we always backed up customers data when I used to work at that repair shop. Well, thank you for the insight I appreciate it. Gonna head down and buy a drive in the morning, might try and return it after;)