Intel Optane SSD 800P Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
That's why we have the performance charts on the final page. We wanted to get in the 900P and Optane Memory charted but didn't want to make all Optane results in the main testing portion of the review. You will see 800P, 900P VROC, and PCH RAID coming up soon together in a review.

TomHaX

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
Fast? Intel claims the new Optane SSD 800P series is capable of up to 1,450/640 MB/s of sequential read/write throughput. Random performance reaches up to 250,000 read and 140,000 write IOPS.

That is SLOW. Compare to gold standard: Samsung 960 Pro 2TB:
Sequential Read Speed: 3,500 MB/sec
Sequential Write Speed: Max 2,100 MB/sec
RANDOM READ (4KB, QD32): 440,000 IOPS (Thread 4)
RANDOM WRITE (4KB, QD32): 360,000 IOPS (Thread 4)
http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/960pro

Stop FUD. Get the facts!

natx808

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
price/performance is not doing it for me. I'd take a cheap adata XPG SX8000 256 GB instead.

i'm not sure what consumer application would suits these drives for considering such small density. not much room left for games once you install the OS on a 64 or even 128GB drive

disappointing 4k random write performance compared to drives that cost a fraction of the optane drives. I suppose the average consumer isn't going to be running a heavily loaded database server, but regardless i would just as soon opt for nvme drives than optane.

Question - whats the purpose to show 4 R0 optane if you don't compare it to 4 R0 SSDs?

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
To Chris, the author:

You guys should update your SSD articles to include 760p in the comparison. It's the top drive when it comes to battery life, and power restricted performance, which is a nice balance for notebooks.

Mar 8, 2018
Once I watched a documentary in which a whale washed ashore exploded like a water fountain spraying blood and all other disgusting bodily fluids. This is because it was bloated. How come I don’t see that whale on packaging of Optane products now?

USAFRet

Titan
I would have liked to see a typical SATA III SSD included in the comparison charts. The standard 850 EVO, perhaps.

I see a lot of people in here wanting to jump to the new Shiny, because "faster", but without knowing if it actually is in real world use.

JonDol

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015
Question on the phrase "This drive works like a standard storage device without any chipset stipulations" on the article's first page describing the Optane SSD 900P. As far as I understood, it is tied to Intel chipsets (thus a first stipulation) or it will also work with AMD chipsets?

Ty

Brian_R170

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014

Optane is tied to Intel chipsets only when configured as a disk cache. When used as a standalone SSD, it works just like any NVMe SSD, so yes, it will work with AMD chipsets.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
The 900P and 800P will work with anything with a NVMe driver. The Optane Memory will only work at "Optane Memory" cache with a few chipsets. You can use it as a cache drive with other software but the other software no longer makes it "Optane Memory" as in the official SSD, software, chipset combination that make up Optane Memory.

I know it's confusing. It took us some time to wrap our heads around.

Feb 22, 2018
Optane looks nice at very low queue depths. But USD200 for just 120GB?? A 500GB SDD cost less than USD150 these days.....What do you expect users to do with just 120GB of storage? Windows and office takes up 1/2 of it already. Remaining 60GB, perhaps just enough for 2-3 games??

The most important thing is that its nothing going to be really faster than normal SATA SSDs under normal conditions. Even if there is a difference, it will be nowhere compared to jump from HDD to SSD.

Windows utilises RAM for caching as well. So, real world benefits are quite different from benchmarks.

emv

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2013
same question. the data seems to indicate improvement over other nvme ssds in synthetic benchmarks but 2% improvement in real world apps. i dont this Chris could pick it out over tbe samsung 960 in gaming or office apps. am i wrong?

mischon123

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017
Expensive. Small. Not quick. Means all apps and files reside on slow to access HD. A similarly priced 500 Evo m2 let's you work on fast SS only. Optane is dead on arrival Intel prod. It cannot compete with even the cheapest larger capacity SSD. No buy.

Feb 22, 2018
Guys, I wanna say dont get too stressed up over sequential transfer rates. Most of the time, it doesnt matter. Why? Most of us have only 1 SSD. If you transfer from SSD to HDD and vice versa, the bottleneck is in the HDD. If you transfer within the SSD, you won't get full speed as well. Loading files into RAM hardly allows the SSD to hit full speed (unless you have lots of RAM and transfer huge files into RAM).

So, most of the time, you can only see the results during benchmarks. Not in real world.

Even if you have 2 SSDs, unless you enjoy copying large files between them, you will hardly notice any difference.

TomHaX

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
Awesome review, but what is the booting time from pressing power button to showing desktop for different SSD including Optane and Samsung 960 Pro?

TomHaX

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
What is the booting time for different SSD from pressing power button to showing desktop, including Intel Optane and Samsung 960 Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.