Question Intel Optane + SSD on a motherboard with one pcie 2.0 and one pcie 3.0

foroomate

Honorable
May 18, 2018
Hello,

I know this is not the use case for Optane and nvmes are already fast enough, but theoretically can I still increase the system's performance by having both nvme and Optane? The motherboard itself has one pcie 2.0 and one pcie 3.0.

**Assuming it's the Intel Optane p1600x 118gb

And if so at what configuration? And if pcie 2.0 is just too slow, then what if there were at least two 3.0?

Just curious because I saw another post where someone said the pcie 3.0 Optane is much faster then pcie 5.0 ssd due to the Optane being much better for random speeds

Hello,

I know this is not the use case for Optane and nvmes are already fast enough, but theoretically can I still increase the system's performance by having both nvme and Optane? The motherboard itself has one pcie 2.0 and one pcie 3.0.

**Assuming it's the Intel Optane p1600x 118gb

And if so at what configuration? And if pcie 2.0 is just too slow, then what if there were at least two 3.0?

Just curious because I saw another post where someone said the pcie 3.0 Optane is much faster then pcie 5.0 ssd due to the Optane being much better for random speeds
Optanes are better in the 3.p slots because that's what they were based off of during their design Phase. The pcie 5.0 has to fast of read write option for the octane chips to switch through continuously adjust speeds causing them to malfunction and skip info. They ate getting better with newer octane chips however 3.0 is best for now. And I wouldnt bother trying to use octane and nvme together in 2.0 and 3.p config it can cause latency issues

Reactions: foroomate

foroomate

Honorable
May 18, 2018
Optanes are better in the 3.p slots because that's what they were based off of during their design Phase. The pcie 5.0 has to fast of read write option for the octane chips to switch through continuously adjust speeds causing them to malfunction and skip info. They ate getting better with newer octane chips however 3.0 is best for now. And I wouldnt bother trying to use octane and nvme together in 2.0 and 3.p config it can cause latency issues
Thank you. I gave up the idea of using octane for this setup, however I do have an older PC with Intel 6th gen CPU and a sata ssd. It happens to use a high end Z170 motherboard that has m2 gen3 slot!!

For this PC it can actually work right? However I have no idea where to start, and how to use this 118gb Optane to speed up the system alongside the SATA drive.

I did find an Intel article about setting up the Optane with a sata ssd using Intel RST, however it says the requirements are at least 7th gen Intel CPU. So I wonder how else can I use it, if at all?

So I Robert

Thank you. I gave up the idea of using octane for this setup, however I do have an older PC with Intel 6th gen CPU and a sata ssd. It happens to use a high end Z170 motherboard that has m2 gen3 slot!!

For this PC it can actually work right? However I have no idea where to start, and how to use this 118gb Optane to speed up the system alongside the SATA drive.

I did find an Intel article about setting up the Optane with a sata ssd using Intel RST, however it says the requirements are at least 7th gen Intel CPU. So I wonder how else can I use it, if at all?

So I Robert
Right now the best option for the optane drive would be to let it sit to the side for now, saddly without the proper system the probability of it working right os slim to none and may cause it to permanently be damaged which no one wants to do.