[SOLVED] Intel Optimizing - SpeedShift. SpeedStep, C-State, etc. On or Off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trofeer

Commendable
Apr 3, 2021
I know I may be late, but I was recently following an optimizer that recommended disabling all of these as these settings can control performance (fps) in games such as Warzone which is pretty CPU intensive. Very sledomly I get these blink of an eye 'stutters' in game... my temps are fine, 63-72C while gaming.

I wasnt sure what those that are a bit more knowledgeable have to say about this and if its something that would be detrimental to my i7-10700K (stock) thermal wise. My machine is primarily used for gaming. I have it cooled with a Noctua U14S in a Meshify S2 with 3 case fans (Noctua NFA14 PWM).

What about leaving Speed step enabled and leaving Speed shift disabled?

Thank you!

Solution
you do not want those off, there's no performance increase from disabling c-states.

when there's very minimal processing going on this allows the CPU to downclock to lower speeds to reduce temperature and stress on the processor.

when more processing is needed it allows the CPU to ramp up as needed.
any game that requires heavy CPU use will have the CPU running at it's max speeds.

all your doing by disabling those options is forcing your CPU to work harder and produce more heat when it's not necessary.
you should leave them all on Auto.
you do not want those off, there's no performance increase from disabling c-states.

when there's very minimal processing going on this allows the CPU to downclock to lower speeds to reduce temperature and stress on the processor.

when more processing is needed it allows the CPU to ramp up as needed.
any game that requires heavy CPU use will have the CPU running at it's max speeds.

all your doing by disabling those options is forcing your CPU to work harder and produce more heat when it's not necessary.
you should leave them all on Auto.

Reactions: trofeer
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.