[SOLVED] Intel or AMD for a completely new system? Also, is PCIE4 even a factor?

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
So, I did do a search and read some of the threads about Intel vs AMD. I've used both in the past, and am currently using an i5 4690K.

I'll be using it for both work and play. I mainly use Photoshop, but I also do some 3D modeling and a bit of video from time to time.

The biggest "unknown" for me is that I heard the newest AMD's are either already using PCIE4, or are "ready" for PCIE4, unless that was later dropped. I don't know if there are any motherboards out there ATM that have PCIE4 slots, or if PCIE4 is even something I need to consider going forward at this point.

I suppose my biggest concern is future graphics cards either requiring PCIE4, or not giving you their full potential if used in a PCIE3 slot.

Thanks!

DM

Solution
PCI-e 4.0 is only a factor on achieving the really impressive sequential read/write speeds on CystalDiskMark, in my opinion...

GPU-wise, certainly it would be hard to argue against concluding that systems capable of PCI-e 4.0 equipped with a RTX3090 have no advantage over Intel systems 'crippled' with 'only' with PCI-e 3.0...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The only aspect of PCI-e 4 that has been compelling is the speed for data transfer to a drive that is RATED for it.
Every test I have seen comparing that feature on a graphics card amounted to margin of error.

I would not consider that aspect as a current "need" for a system. It's still early.

Reactions: Phaaze88
PCI-e 4.0 is only a factor on achieving the really impressive sequential read/write speeds on CystalDiskMark, in my opinion...

GPU-wise, certainly it would be hard to argue against concluding that systems capable of PCI-e 4.0 equipped with a RTX3090 have no advantage over Intel systems 'crippled' with 'only' with PCI-e 3.0...

Solution
Thanks everyone. Actually I hadn't considered SSD speeds. rolls eyes at self lol

DM
I've heard higher performance in the video editing process is a compelling reason to get faster storage. Though I'm pretty sure most of it is still dependent on the processing power of your computer.

Considering where you're coming from though, I don't think it matters in the end. You're going to get a decent upgrade. And if your time was literally money, I would just tell you to go hog wild anyway.

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Ya well, "hog wild" went out the window with the pandemic. :/

DM

I've heard higher performance in the video editing process is a compelling reason to get faster storage. Though I'm pretty sure most of it is still dependent on the processing power of your computer.

Considering where you're coming from though, I don't think it matters in the end. You're going to get a decent upgrade. And if your time was literally money, I would just tell you to go hog wild anyway.

I went from a 4790k to this rig in my sig, great upgrade and now looking forward to dropping in a 5900x/5950x next year. Get a decent X570/B550 board and you'd be good, although as said above, there's no real advantage for PCI-E 4 over the previous gen.

I don't know about you, but I like cool chips and the Intels are too warm for my liking these days. I like higher IPC and cooler temps.

Something people tend to forget or overlook is that motherboards with PCIE 4.0 on 500 series motherboards, should allow you to use two NVMe SSDs at x2 or x4 without locking all other PCIE slots (except GPu x16 slot) or locking two SATA ports, like it would on AMD 300 and 400 series motherboards. Those other slots are usually using PCIE 2.0 lanes while the first x16 slot uses PCIE 3.0.

Reactions: GarrettL

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks everyone. Actually I hadn't considered SSD speeds. rolls eyes at self lol

DM
For your average user it has nothing to do with anything unless your just doing benchmarks or a ton of file transfers that is really the only time you would see the little performance increase.

When you get into a NVME drive their crazy fast anyhow, but in real world performance their not much over a regular SATA SSD you might get like a 1 second faster boot time! Again unless your using it for specific use like a scratch drive if your doing rendering programs and most of the time other parts are your bottleneck their anyhow.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3AMz-xZ2VM

EDIT for the PCI-E 4.0 still not really a factor for probably the life of the PC. PCI-E 2.0 bandwidth was just saturated by the 2080ti and 3.0 is about double the bandwidth.

Last edited:
All of this is slightly irrelevant in my opinion anyway. You are debating whether you need PCIe Gen 4, or if Gen 3 with Intel is enough. You said you do video editing and photoshop, which by default usually means that the Ryzen series are the better choice anyway, regardless of PCIe generation, since the Ryzen series have more cores, and tend to perform better than intel at the kinds of things you plan to be doing. Intel is only really any better in games, while AMD is the same or better in performance, while generally costing the same or less. I would just go with a Ryzen system if I were you, just because it will most likely be the better CPU for your use case, while also having PCIe gen 4 capabilities as a bonus.