[SOLVED] Intel or AMD for gaming?

Hyozans

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2015
I know everyone hates this question and I apologize if there’s already a current thread but.. I feel like I’m behind the times in who’s good at what. Years ago AMD was the hot cpu with more cores and Intel was cool and making better use of each core. Now i’m hearing the opposite and I’m wondering what others think. I don’t mean to start a war I just wonder about the general consensus on whats easier to keep cool, what’s better for gaming, etc when it comes to a CPU - if it matters at all which you go with. I know this is a dumbed down view/question but that’s why I’m asking about it.

Solution
What is your budget?
Today Intel and amd are comparable for gaming at each price point.
One rule of thumb for a balanced gamer is to budget about 2x the cost of the processor for the graphics card.
Heat is no problem unless you are looking at the very top end processors with aggressive overclocks.

Ryzen offers many cheap threads which are most useful for multiplayer games with many participants.
Intel generally offers stronger single thread performance. Games such as sims, strategy and mmo will do better with fast single thread performance.

Hyozans

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2015
MSI Full HD FreeSync Gaming Monitor 24" Curved Non-Glare 1ms LED Wide Screen 1920 x 1080 144Hz Refresh Rate (Optix G24C)

Well this is what I have and I like it. Does resolution specifically matter when it comes to which brand of CPU?

What is your budget?
Today Intel and amd are comparable for gaming at each price point.
One rule of thumb for a balanced gamer is to budget about 2x the cost of the processor for the graphics card.
Heat is no problem unless you are looking at the very top end processors with aggressive overclocks.

Ryzen offers many cheap threads which are most useful for multiplayer games with many participants.
Intel generally offers stronger single thread performance. Games such as sims, strategy and mmo will do better with fast single thread performance.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS