Intel or AMD ram?

fixthat

Honorable
Aug 18, 2015
On some Ebay listings they might specify ram as "for AMD" is it really limited to one brand of processor or are they just saying what brand of board they pulled it from?

They don't know what they are talking about. There is no AMD or Intel "compatible" RAM. RAM is RAM. It's either compatible with the standard of your motherboard and CPU, or it's not. If your board and cpu use DDR2, that's what you get. If you need DDR3, and it's a very old DDR3 system, you may need low density chips, but most hardware from the last few generations all use high density DDR3 modules so for the sake of argument, we'll say the same here, DDR3 for DDR3. DDR4 for boards and CPUs that call for that. There is no DDR AMD or DDR Intel memory. It's likely they are not technically inclined and since the system it was removed from was an AMD system, that's what they're calling it.

Always, ALWAYS, go by what your motherboard indicates is the correct memory. Pretty much all motherboards have a product page somewhere that lists the specifications and what memory is supported. Very old motherboards or some OEM motherboards may be hard to find that data for, but it's somewhere.

fixthat

Honorable
Aug 18, 2015
Thank You for your response.
A lot of my work is with donated materials so i don't get to choose my brands, and most of the memory has worked within it's designated class. I'm glad I do not have to worry about processor brand as I attempt to fill my boards the cheapest way possible. And I may be buying ahead for future and I don't want to have to worry brand segregation. I am aware that sometimes a board may have a very short list of "approved" memory, but thats a problem with one board, and not AMD/Intel as a whole.

"Approved" memory module model numbers is almost never, in fact, never, what can be run on any given board. Those QVL lists only show a very limited number of tested modules, mainly to show that memory from a variety of manufacturers and at a variety of speeds can be used on any given motherboard. There are generally many more model numbers that can be run that are not listed on the qualified vendor list.

allengorden

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I beg to differ on this old post. I'm in IT for more than 35 years. It's true that some DDR3 ram are made only for AMD motherboard timings. I've ran into this occasion a few times. For DDR4 it seems that all are compatible now. But don't quote me on that.