[SOLVED] Intel or AMD Ryzen?

Zuher Laith

Prominent
May 12, 2020
Hi,

I'm going for a first build with a small budget, that's how we all start, right?
My PC purpose: gaming only 1080p, no streaming, just stable gaming for all now days games.

(Intel Plan (Saving Money))
I have a new motherboard that's a little old gen (as I've been told), H170 Pro Gaming, 1151 socket (needs BIOS update to 7th gen, not an issue).
My CPU options went for i5 6600K (190$, best option for gaming only), so I can have a really good GPU (270$ for GPU) because of low budget as I mentioned.
BUT I also had an offer for a i7 7700 (its used like new one month with a price 35$ higher than the one I choose)
Q1: I think having i7 is too much for my need? or is it better than the one I picked first?

(AMD Plan) Skipping all this mess..
I think of how cheap and so powerful AMD Ryzen processors, my eyes planned and picked up the Ryzen 5 3600 (180$)
but I must get a motherboard for that socket (probably goes for (100$ or so)

One thing held me from AMD processor is their heat, I know they heat in exchange for performance,
and I live in a area that is in a avg of 30~38°C indoor only if air conditioner is off, outdoor is 40~45 most of the year, yes sir, I live in the desert.
Q2: If the air conditioner goes off most of the day, will it go bad on the CPU? is it gonna effect the performance in that Ryzen 5 3600
- I will not use a water cooler if this was the case, Its literally a waste, fans are cool :) .

don't suggest other products, I already made my mind with these plans, just don't know what to pick.
Please help me on this decisions.. and I apologize for the long detailing.

Thanks a ton.

Last edited:
Solution
some CoolerMaster should do the job maybe?

OK, it is true he's kinda classic completely, and my entire view kinda changed to AMD since I can have long-time build with AMD with good performance?,
I still need a motherboard with that R5 3600, will A B450 for like a 100$ will do the job? I'm not seeking a fancy MB or some RGB stuff.

As for the GPU, you suggest getting a 8GB for VRAM, will Its hard to get that since my budget for GPU is 280$ limited, the thing is I need to pick one for the long-use and I don't want the card to die or fail,
which one if I had to pick from these two cards? there is small difference between them, so any other options from...
Hi,

I'm going for a first build with a small budget, that's how we all start, right?
My PC purpose: gaming only 1080p, no streaming, just stable gaming for all now days games.

(Intel Plan (Saving Money))
I have a motherboard that's a little old (as I've been told), H170 Pro Gaming, 1151 socket (needs BIOS update to 7th gen, not an issue).
My CPU options went for i5 6600K (190$, best option for gaming only), so I can have a really good GPU (270$ for GPU) because of low budget as I mentioned.
BUT I also had an offer for a i7 7700 (its used like new one month with a price 35$ higher than the one I choose)
Q1: I think having i7 is too much for my need? or is it better than the one I picked first?

Skipping all this mess.. (AMD Plan)
I think of how cheap and so powerful AMD Ryzen processors, my eyes planned and picked up the Ryzen 5 3600 (180$)
but I must get a motherboard for that socket (probably goes for 100$ or so)

One thing held me from AMD processor is their heat, I know they heat in exchange for performance,
and I live in a area that is in a avg of 30~38°C indoor only if air conditioner is off, outdoor is 40~45 most of the year, yes sir, I live in the desert.
Q2: If the air conditioner goes off most of the day, will it go bad on the CPU? is it gonna effect the performance in that ryzen 5 3600
- I will not use a water cooler if this was the case, Its literally a waste, fans are cool :) .

don't suggest other products, I already made my mind with these plans, just don't know what to pick.
Please help me on this decisions.. and I apologize for the long detailing.

Thanks a ton.
why all the colours...

AMD aren't hot anymore, they used to be but not since Zen launched.

38 degree heat will affect any PC and you likely won't turbo as high.

How much is the R5 2600 there? Here it's about £60 cheaper which you can put towards a better GPU. What GPU are you thinking of getting btw? Do you already have one?

Zuher Laith

Prominent
May 12, 2020
No offence but was the color in between the text/sentences necessary? They are horrible to read on a dark theme/background.

Is it possible for you to pass on a PCPartPicker link? Also, you're going to be recycling your old PSU, storage and case? Ideally you should follow the stylizing in this thread with relevant information to avoid us having to ask so many questions.
The colors were meant for highlight purposes, and I'm sure they are not that bad in dark theme.. but I apologize for that, they are gone now.

I did not make a PCPartPicker list, and its not useful at all since I included all the prices in my plans, so please advice me based on that.
I'm not recycling any other parts and don't mind them, focus on I have, I just want an advice on these parts that I included, what to choose.

I hope I provided all the questions, thanks.

Zuher Laith

Prominent
May 12, 2020
why all the colours...

AMD aren't hot anymore, they used to be but not since Zen launched.

38 degree heat will affect any PC and you likely won't turbo as high.

How much is the R5 2600 there? Here it's about £60 cheaper which you can put towards a better GPU. What GPU are you thinking of getting btw? Do you already have one?
Colors are just highlights, they are gone now.

- I'm not looking to overclock at all, but how is it gonna effect the performance?
is it gonna go bad at 35 degree or higher (in the room)? while having a fan for CPU cooling, 2 fans in the case for the air flow.

Like man I'm terrified of the idea of AMD heating, my brother is an elder PC builder, he literally gets mad of the whole AMD thing, makes me drop it and go for Intel plan.
Since I'm aiming for the Ryzen 5 3600 for that situation, which is the third gen "Zen 2", so I don't know about the heating at all, and if it will ever be an issue?.
in my area Intel is more popular somehow, I don't know why.

- R5 2600 not sure but the prices in my country are so different from online, its probably 130$ or more less.

- for GPU I was advised with the GTX 1660 Super, its 270$, but I found the RX 5600 XT is 14% better & same price, what do you think?
they are a bit equal but I don't know, can you help me on what to pick?
bench compares below

Thank you so much for help!

Colors are just highlights, they are gone now.

- I'm not looking to overclock at all, but how is it gonna effect the performance?
is it gonna go bad at 35 degree or higher (in the room)? while having a fan for CPU cooling, 2 fans in the case for the air flow.

Like man I'm terrified of the idea of AMD heating, my brother is an elder PC builder, he literally gets mad of the whole AMD thing, makes me drop it and go for Intel plan.
Since I'm aiming for the Ryzen 5 3600 for that situation, which is the third gen "Zen 2", so I don't know about the heating at all, and if it will ever be an issue?.
in my area Intel is more popular somehow, I don't know why.

- R5 2600 not sure but the prices in my country are so different from online, its probably 130$ or more less.

- for GPU I was advised with the GTX 1660 Super, its 270$, but I found the RX 5600 XT is 14% better & same price, what do you think?
they are a bit equal but I don't know, can you help me on what to pick?
bench compares below

Thank you so much for help!
Just get a solid cooler ands you should be fine.

He's either stupid or going off 5 year old info. AMD I would say have been the cooler of the 2 since first gen Zen launched as intel have just been cramming more cores and cranking it up to 5 Ghz to compete.

They both only have 6GB of VRAM which isn't ideal for longevity but I'd take the faster card.

Intel is still popular because of advertising and some people ignoring the performance gain that AMD has had over the last few years.

Zuher Laith

Prominent
May 12, 2020
Just get a solid cooler ands you should be fine.

He's either stupid or going off 5 year old info. AMD I would say have been the cooler of the 2 since first gen Zen launched as intel have just been cramming more cores and cranking it up to 5 Ghz to compete.

They both only have 6GB of VRAM which isn't ideal for longevity but I'd take the faster card.

Intel is still popular because of advertising and some people ignoring the performance gain that AMD has had over the last few years.

OK, it is true he's kinda classic completely, and my entire view kinda changed to AMD since I can have long-time build with AMD with good performance?,
I still need a motherboard with that R5 3600, will A B450 for like a 100$ will do the job? I'm not seeking a fancy MB or some RGB stuff.

As for the GPU, you suggest getting a 8GB for VRAM, will Its hard to get that since my budget for GPU is 280$ limited, the thing is I need to pick one for the long-use and I don't want the card to die or fail,
which one if I had to pick from these two cards? there is small difference between them, so any other options from these two?

I really appreciate your help so much!

which one if I had to pick from these two cards? there is small difference between them, so any other options from these two?

I really appreciate your help so much!

If you get a B450 you’ll need to update the BIOS look for a B450 Max. A 2600 would just need a B450

Just don’t expect max settings with 6GB ;) Some games like Doom eternal won’t let you turn on things like max shadows if you haven’t got 8GB.

Depends on your PSU, I thing the 5600XT is a bit more power hungry.

Just remember with Zen you need 2 sticks of RAM at 3000Mhz or faster.

Solution

Zuher Laith

Prominent
May 12, 2020
If you get a B450 you’ll need to update the BIOS look for a B450 Max. A 2600 would just need a B450

Just don’t expect max settings with 6GB ;) Some games like Doom eternal won’t let you turn on things like max shadows if you haven’t got 8GB.

Depends on your PSU, I thing the 5600XT is a bit more power hungry.

Just remember with Zen you need 2 sticks of RAM at 3000Mhz or faster.
Yes that is true, I'll need the B450 Tomahawk Max, Its almost the same as a 100$ price which is perfect for me.

I mean.. As long as it doesn't frame drop that will be fine, I mean valorant can still be played on a Pentium processor :LOL:

I created a PCPartPicker list for the Items I'm gonna buy, and they are like 50$ less than the price in there, notice that I already have the other parts so I didn't add them, as for the PSU its a 500W and I didn't add a price on it because I already have it.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NVGqf9
What do you think?

Really appreciate all the help!

Yes that is true, I'll need the B450 Tomahawk Max, Its almost the same as a 100$ price which is perfect for me.

I mean.. As long as it doesn't frame drop that will be fine, I mean valorant can still be played on a Pentium processor :LOL:

I created a PCPartPicker list for the Items I'm gonna buy, and they are like 50$ less than the price in there, notice that I already have the other parts so I didn't add them, as for the PSU its a 500W and I didn't add a price on it because I already have it.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NVGqf9
What do you think?

Really appreciate all the help!
Do you have a caser?

You don't need a CPU cooler the CPU comes with one so you might be able to sneak a 2060 or a 5700 in there instead

Zuher Laith

Prominent
May 12, 2020
Do you have a caser?

You don't need a CPU cooler the CPU comes with one so you might be able to sneak a 2060 or a 5700 in there instead
Yes I do, Cooler Master (ATX Sized) with 2 BIG fans, and a place for door fan that I can add.

Well I kinda want to assure that I won't face any heating problem, since, again, I live in the dessert. :ROFLMAO:
Plus the Hyper 212 Fan is the best and wouldn't cost at all, 30 or 40 bucks would live long even for future builds, right?

The RTX 2060 is a really good idea, its 20% better than the GTX1660 Super, I mean like I wouldn't mind pay more for more FPS, right?
The thing is, its gonna go really pricey where I live, like up to 400$ or less
and the GTX1660 Super is 270$, not sure of the RTX price but if Its really pricey, Imma pause.

I'm not trusting AMD with graphics cards, never :\

Prices in my area are kinda scuffed, for example you get a Vengeance RAM 3200Mhz 8GBx2 for like 105$ instead of 75$ which is not promising.

At this time I must wait before ordering parts, I shouldn't order now, expecting prices go low, just the situation with the pandemic a lot of thing changing.

Yes I do, Cooler Master (ATX Sized) with 2 BIG fans, and a place for door fan that I can add.

Well I kinda want to assure that I won't face any heating problem, since, again, I live in the dessert. :ROFLMAO:
Plus the Hyper 212 Fan is the best and wouldn't cost at all, 30 or 40 bucks would live long even for future builds, right?

The RTX 2060 is a really good idea, its 20% better than the GTX1660 Super, I mean like I wouldn't mind pay more for more FPS, right?
The thing is, its gonna go really pricey where I live, like up to 400$ or less
and the GTX1660 Super is 270$, not sure of the RTX price but if Its really pricey, Imma pause.

I'm not trusting AMD with graphics cards, never :\

Prices in my area are kinda scuffed, for example you get a Vengeance RAM 3200Mhz 8GBx2 for like 105$ instead of 75$ which is not promising.

At this time I must wait before ordering parts, I shouldn't order now, expecting prices go low, just the situation with the pandemic a lot of thing changing.
AMD chips aren't that hot and don't boost very far

Well it's faster and you get more VRAM

What's wrong with AMD cards exactly? They're generally a better value they're just a higher wattage.

Prices will probably go down again when the pandemic moves along a bit.

Zuher Laith

Prominent
May 12, 2020
AMD chips aren't that hot and don't boost very far

Well it's faster and you get more VRAM

What's wrong with AMD cards exactly? They're generally a better value they're just a higher wattage.

Prices will probably go down again when the pandemic moves along a bit.
I'm not looking to boost with any way, they just short your parts age.

I think RTX 2060 is 6GB? I'm not sure.. but I found its 6GB VRAM but its way better performance than the GTX 1660 Super..

AMD cards are known for heating maybe? AMD processors are a whole different matter.

I'm not looking to boost with any way, they just short your parts age.

I think RTX 2060 is 6GB? I'm not sure.. but I found its 6GB VRAM but its way better performance than the GTX 1660 Super..

AMD cards are known for heating maybe? AMD processors are a whole different matter.
Had the 2060S in my mind soz.

AMD cards are hotter than Nvidia but not by a ton. AMD CPUs are cooler than intel.