intel or amd?

lucasburns

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014
for a gaming rig which is better, intel or amd? i currently have a amd card and MOBO so if i want to upgrade my cpu, should i get another amd or an intel and a new MOBO?

Solution
Intel is technically better, but costs more obviously.

People will come in and say that the fx8### series is better because the 8 cores make it more future proof, but they're wrong, it will still be many years before games start making proper use of more than 4 cores. They mainly only use one or 2 cores today anyways.
And when they DO start making use of 8 cores, your CPU is gonna be a POS by then.
Intel is technically better, but costs more obviously.

People will come in and say that the fx8### series is better because the 8 cores make it more future proof, but they're wrong, it will still be many years before games start making proper use of more than 4 cores. They mainly only use one or 2 cores today anyways.
And when they DO start making use of 8 cores, your CPU is gonna be a POS by then.

Solution
In your case it's gonna depend on budget. If your a gamer then then the price for a new intel CPU and Mobo may not be worth it if you can buy something like the AMD FX 8350 and a better GPU. But if price really isn't a concern then James is correct. Intel is better.

Zombie615

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
By the time you buy a pricey Intel CPU an the Motherboard to go with it.... you could buy a decent FX an be happy for a year or two. Even though the intel is better but just saying since you need a motherboard to go with the CPU it's not going to benefit you price vs performance.

Right, it really kinda does come down to your budget.

I've switched between amd and intel with each system i've built (4) for past decade, and I'm starting to dislike what I'm getting from amd with my current build, So I'm likely just going to stick with intel in the future.

Zombie615

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
The line between Intel and AMD is a finicky one. Honestly I'd like to have an Intel i5 4670k but I have an FM2 socket board with A-10 6700 APU so I'm stuck with doing a new build. I'd just switch the motherboard an CPU but I could get more by building another rig an keeping this one for basic use like picture storing an stuff like that.