intel or AMD?

G

At the moment, I've got an A8-5600K with an AMD radeon hd 7770.

I'm looking to change the cpu because it runs far too hot for my linking, and now have a dilemma : AMD or Intel?

specifically, I'm looking at the FX6300 and the i3-4130.
I like the look of the upgrade path for Intel, but the AMD looks fine for me for the next few years.

i will be keeping my gpu, but which cpu will be better? I use it occasionally for photo and video editing, but mostly for gaming - Starbound, CIV, SIMS, Dirt 3, NFS etc.

so... AMD or Intel?

changing it because it runs too hot is dumb in my opinion (get a better cooler). Changing it because it can't perform well enough is a good reason to change. However to get a significant gaming performance boost you need to change both the CPU and the GPU.

Do you have the budget?

Hello man

Honorable

Because of the i3, I would say that they are both tied. The i3 is .04 faster in overall performance, but is not unlocked, so no over clocking...... ever. However, the AMD will run hotter. A 41W difference in TDP will make more heat, so better cooling might be needed for intense gaming. I would still stay AMD.

G

I have got a Hyper 212 evo, and the cpu just doesn't perform as well as I'd like, though not often.

my budget is about £80 which is why I picked those two.

For gaming the fx-6300 is better then the i3. If I where you I would wait until the fx-8320 is on sale, you can find them for only $30 more when on special.

The i5 and i7 cpus will be better then their AMD counterparts in performance. Where AMD shines is in value, the performance per $$ of the fx series cpus over their intel equivelants is for the most part always better.

G

Ok, so I should stick with AMD, with the Hyper 212 Evo? It's just that the hyper didn't make a different to the temperature of the A8 that i have now

Hello man

Honorable

Sorry to not get back to you on this, my tracked threads panel is dead, and says I have not looked at a new thread since last month, so I had no idea that anyone had replied to this. I would say the 212 is fine, presuming you do not over clock.

I think it's dead for everybody: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2141314/notifications-tracked-thread-fails-update.html

Yes IMHO. It's probably more 'future proof'.

Zitrome

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Yes go for the 8320, it has 2 extra cores in it. If you go into the bios you can configure a game to use all 8 cores, for £20 the difference is worth it. The only problem is that the 8320 will use a bit more power. If you can pay another £20 more I would recommend the fx 8350. It is clocked at 4ghz, 8-core and can be overclocked without changing the voltage to 5ghz. It is better than the i5 4670k in my opinion

Sorry, but most of that is incorrect. You can't configure a game to use more cores; Games can only use a certain amount of cores depending on the game and that can't be changed. I have never seen anyone OC the 8350 to 5GHz with stock voltages.

It wins the 4670k in multithreaded performance, but loses in single threaded applications.

G

13thmonkey

you do know you'll need a new mobo whatever path you go down?

yes, i do know that i need a new motherboard - could you recommend a good one for no more than £60, with usb 3.0 headers etc?

Hello man

Honorable

Uh Zitrome, that is most certainly not possible, since I loose stability on two FX8350 cores without a VBoost when I hit 4.4Ghz. Sure, you can get the CPU to "run" at 5.0Ghz, but it is most certainly unstable. And, 5.0Ghz requires MASSIVE Voltage Regulation Modules, and 8+2 power phase design. But yes, OP, you should cough up the bucks for the 8320.

EDIT: I think this ASUS will be good ASUS

G

Thanks Hello Man.

sorry to go on, but i have an a8-5600k and an asus f2a55-m lk mobo, which are 10 months old - how much do you think they would sell for?

Hello man

Honorable

Maybe $115? Put them on EBAY as a combo, see what you get. Computer parts go fast there.