Intel or AMD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

4745454b

Titan
like the FX series that some people think will be sold at $300...

S939 is awesome on the used market. Considering that people are dumping them for C2D or AM2, picking up a used S939 motherboard/CPU can be had at wonderful savings. S939 is the new budget system... (did you think that would be the case just last year?)

Hell no, did any of us think that Intel would take the lead in the processor wars? Or that we would be seeing Mac use x86 chips? Or that we would even see the introduction of quad cores?
Moores Law has been effectively shot to hell.

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
i have a Pentium D 805 2.66 GHZ for $80 and i play BF2 easy (tho my graphics card holds me back) with only 65% cpu usage i recommend the P D and I have overclocked it to 3.2 GHZ with no temp difference. so either het the pentium d or the conroe.

4745454b

Titan
grab a low priced 939 CPU this is a very cost effective/performance wise means of getting a boost.

While this doesn't work for everyone, its fine for me. Seeing as all I do is play games and download stuff, I don't need the power of the C2D. A cheap 3500+ or 3800+ x2 is more then enough power to play video games. With S939, I can use dual core, 4Gbs of ram, PCIe/SLI/CF, etc. For gaming, its really the video card that matters.

I do realise however that people use a PC for more then what I do. If video encoding, etc is what you do, you really should move off Athlon to C2D.

thelvyn

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
If he has DDR1 he could always get the ASRock 775Dual-VSTA
Link : http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=110045&AFFIL=pricewatch&NR=1
Supports core2, can use DDR1 or DDR2, can use AGP or Pci-Express
This is a great upgrade board, you can get this board and a e6300 for around $250.00 and reuse your existing components and upgrade them later.
The DDR vs DDR2 makes almost no difference whatsoever and there is less then a 5% difference between AGP and Pci-Express cards unless your using a top end video card. If you have a $500.00 + pci express card then you should not buy this board but other then that its a solid performer.

TRENDING THREADS