Intel or AMD?

G

Ok, I'm sure this conversation is old to some of you, but I'm kinda new here and am now reconsidering whether to go Intel or AMD. I'm looking for good some advice...

I'm want to build a computer now, don't want to wait until the Northwood or even the new P3 comes out, I'll upgrade then if they are that great. I got some cash to burn and want to build a machine now that will be kick-ass.

That said, please give me your ultimate AMD machine (I am not going to overclock it, don't want to get into that). I want to know what motherboard and which CPU to purchase right now.

Thanks all,
Calibis

"Like sausage and law, one should never watch software being made."

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Best performing AMD combo appears to be SiS735 board with 1.4G Athlon. No proven stability yet though.

This will today run about par with P4@1.7 - the balance will probably shift as more apps are released with SSE2 support in favour of P4.

It's really up to you, and if you want to build now - the Athlon system will be cheaper. The SiS board nicely avoids potential conflict with VIA.

I heard what you said, but for me if I were building a new system I would wait a coulpe of months and see what out of Northwood/Athlon4 prevails. It isn't so far away and prices will continue to drop. Buying now will lock a significant $$ into 1 technology direction.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the current P4 @1.7GHz performs quite well in a broad rage of applications.

It also is doing excellent in newer games like dronez.

stay away from older(and current) AMD cpu's missing thermo protection, if you decide to go the that way.

"AMD/VIA...you <i>still</i> are the weakest link, good bye!"

G

You're right, I probably should wait. It's just so hard to do! Maybe I'll just order all the other parts and wait for the mb/cpu for later.

G

P4 is the fastest thing ever out. At 1.7ghz ready to hit 2ghz !!! Fast SSE2 make programs fly !!! Also they dont melt like my good buddy amdmeltdown said !!!

! Member of the Intel Triple Threat w/ Fugger and AMDmeltdown !

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Really, give it up. We don't mind if you buy Intel, we don't mind if you post factual information and back it up, but joining AmdMeltdown and FUGGER on their FUD crusade will just get you labeled as an idiot.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

dhlucke

Polypheme
Actually I'm shocked that Amdmeltdown is putting up with Bowswer associating himself with him.

Fugger is probably bowser so who cares...

<font color=red>Amd or Intel? Who cares?? Not me...</font color=red>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
For your enlightenment, "FUD" is an acronym for "Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt." It's a marketing tactic--basically, it's spreading or starting unconfirmed nasty rumors about one product in order to make a competing product look more appealing.

The term "FUD" became widely known when Microsoft's Halloween Memos were leaked, and the term was found repeatedly in those memos.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

AEboy128

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
Well, i dont think he'll gain anything going either way. He'll get roughly the same performance out of the p4 and the t-bird. The only difference he'll see is in price. I mean think about it. An athlon 1.4ghz will cost him $177 and the p4 1.7ghz will cost him $328.

http://www4.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q2/010608/athlon1400-03.html

I personally dont think the p4 performs enough better to be worth the extra 151 bucks on a cpu. If i was you i'd wait for the Northwood and the athlon 4. By the way if you ppl werent stupid enough to forget to put on proper cooling then its your own fault. If amd or intel cpu's are cooled properly they both run great. And amd cpu's arent junk.

Im savin up for a Cobra!! Hehe!!

G

Like someone said to me not so long ago you won't get a good advice here. But if you want opinions, you're in the right place! For my opinion, like my sign say "I wait for the nForce chipset" I don't like the prices of the P4 for what they give (they often get beaten by the Athlon in benchmarks) and I don't really trust the VIA chipset. But, if you feel a bit lucky, go ahead! More likely, you can go with the AMD760 chipset (less problems known). But if you can wait until the beginning of the next year or so, the nForce chipset should have get out and issues known (if there is problems with it).

<i>Waiting for the nForce chipset...</i> -Me

bhc

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
If you have to buy it today, buy Athlon 1.4 GHz. Ignore all the SSE2 "optimized" spin. You want your software to run fastest today, not some empty promises down the road. Even if some software companies ultimately provide SSE2 optimized versions, you will not get them for free anyway; it will be more money out of your pocket.

If you can wait, you may want to wait a few months. Then, you can pick either A-4 or the 0.13 micron P4 (Northwood), both with higher clock speed than you can get today. And, as long as Intel and AMD keep fighting, the prices will be pretty good.

**Spin all you want, but we the paying consumers will have the final word**

bhc

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
Forgot to add: you will also get i845 + DDR for P4/Northwood if you are willing to wait a while, and the current P4 gives you no upgrade path since the sockets will be different between the current P4 and Northwood.

**Spin all you want, but we the paying consumers will have the final word**

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
If you want my advice on nforce.I like there 1 graphic card look pretty well in theory.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by juin on 06/18/01 04:14 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

All, I've decided to take the vast majority of advice here and wait a few months and see what the Tulautin(sp?) and P4 Northwoods have to offer.

Until then, would some of you fine minds help me up my current system the best I can?

It's a Gateway:
P2-400mhz
128MB RAM(don't know what type)
Diamond Viper v770 Ultra w/ 32MB
10GB IDE Harddrive

Can the CPU be upgraded without upgrading my mobo? If so, which CPU should I get? I've kept the original mobo/cpu that came when I bought the system from Gateway.

Thanks again!
Calibis

Frocer

Distinguished
May 28, 2001
Well, personally, I will not wait, if you wait, you can NEVER have the best system since new technology are announced every day. Just about 3 weeks ago, I was in the same boat with you, I was trying to decide to either build a system now or wait for the new technology. I was debating if I should get a GeForce3 now, or get a Radeon 2 with it's mystifying "TruForm" technology. I decided to build a machine this summer and "enjoy" it with games, rather than having the same debate 3 months later. This is the machine I built:

Asus A7M266 Motherboard, AMD 761 Chipset, with DDR support.
AMD Thunderbird 1.333 Ghz 266 FSB
For cooling I use the Volcano II, it's cheap and awesome for non-overclockers
256MB DDR Ram from Crucial
Asus V8200 GeForce3 Card
And all the other goodies..

With Windows 2000, this computer has not yet crash on me, it's very stable and performs VERY well. I hit over 5800 in 3D Marks 2001, and that's without any overclocking and tweaking. You can hit 7000 easy if you overclock.

About Intel vs. AMD, please don't give me [-peep-] like which is better, each has it's advantage as well as disadvantage. Intel is fast, but more for the future, AMD is more for today's softwares. I must say I do think Intel is more stable, from past experience. But AMD is much faster, and a lot cheaper as well. AMD does tend to have heating problem, but if you get the right HSF, you won't have any problem. From price/speed point of view, AMD wins easily, and not mentioning how overclockable AMD is. That's another reason I decided to go with AMD, if my computer gets slow in about 2-3 years, I can just switch the heatsink/fan, and pump another 300MHz out of this baby =)

Well, glad everything work out for ya, let us know

dhlucke

Polypheme
I have a 440bx in my p2-400 dell and I can get a 1 ghz in it. Kind of an expensive upgrade though considering I could buy a new motherboard, memory, and get a 1 ghz T-bird for the same price.

Save your money.

<font color=red>We are going to have peace even if we have to fight for it. - Eisenhower</font color=red>

kaz

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
Sounds familiar. I have a 440-bx Dell P2-350. I couldn't justify spending $450 Canadian on the Slot 1 1Ghz, so I got a 700 Celeron retail, an Iwill slocket II, forced the fsb to 100 and have been running at 1.05Ghz for a week now.
This only cost C$140.
I put my savings in my "new computer" fund.

MeldarthX

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2001
Actually with the release of AthlonMP and the nForce chipset comboed with ddr 2100 ram would be the best combo to go with. Though the AthlonMP is only at 1.2 it handles itself very well. You can also go with the t-bird 1.4.

the memory controller for the nForce is the best on the market. Nothing that Intel has or will be releasing can touch it. It gives the Athlon a 20% boost and with the t-bird 1.4 gig, it is easily a match for the P4 1.7, and for a much lower price.

The Price for the P4 is still far to high and with the very short lifetime for the current platform, its a waste of money. the nforce chipset is not. It will work with both the t-bird and the new AthlonMP chips.

Also with the best intergrated sound and video, with the sound with more features than any soundcard on the market today its by far the best looking solution.

MeldarthX

MeldarthX

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2001
From what I can remember you can most likely drop the PIII 450-PIII 600 in there........but your biggest boost you will get is upgrading your video and ram. a geforceMX400 or geforce 2 will greatly increase your systems performance. Also getting another 128 of ram wouldn't hurt either.

MeldarthX

G

Is the Geforce really THAT much better than my v770 ultra? I remember buying the Ultra not too long ago when it first came out and it was supposed to be king. It can't be that much worst than the Geforce can it?

How can I tell what kind of memory I have in my mobo? Does it say somewhere on the sims? (PC100, etc..) What are the different types of memory and what most likely do I have in an original Gateway P2-400?