[SOLVED] Intel or amd?

steelrfan85

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I was currently going to get the ryzen 5 2600x with MSI X470 gaming pro. Now I’m leaning to i5 8600 and no idea what mobo to get. I’ve heard intel usually runs smoother for games but is it worth the price?

Solution
Ignore what Bi LY TV said, it's complete nonsense from the very first sentence.

Ryzen. Same core count +Hyperthreads. Better than Intel for production or heavy multitasking like gaming + streaming. OC is always an option, no restrictions other than on A series motherboards. Ryzen hyperthreading has strong performance gains with faster ram as the Infinity engine works hand in hand with clock speeds.

Intel. Stronger IPC, for programs using less than full capacity, intel gets a performance gain vrs stock Ryzen. OC and OC prerogatives only with Z mobo's and K cpus. Intel memory controller works best with 1:1 ram, 2133 for skylake, 2400 for kabylake, 2666 for coffeelake. Very little gains with faster ram in gaming, some decent gains in...

WildCard999

Titan

steelrfan85

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Would there be much difference in the 3.4ghz and 3.6ghz stock? I don’t plan on overclocking. That was my only concern with gaming. I’m trying to play DCS and just hoping that is enough CPU power.

WildCard999

Titan
Would there be much difference in the 3.4ghz and 3.6ghz stock? I don’t plan on overclocking. That was my only concern with gaming. I’m trying to play DCS and just hoping that is enough CPU power.
There won't be as XFR2 will auto boost the 2600 to 2600X speeds. In a few rare occasions I've seen my Ryzen 2600 boost to 4.1 on the stock cooler without a manual overclock.

The Ryzen 2600 will be fine for regular DCS but if your trying DCS in VR then you'll want something with a bit more oomph.

Last edited:

steelrfan85

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I don’t have VR so no big deal. Just trying to figure out mobo and ram. I’ve watched videos on 2400 and 3200 MHz. Sounds like since I have a ryzen 5 no point for 3200. Does that sound right to you?

While the 2600's boost clocks are generally pretty reasonable, with multiple cores active the 2600X will boost notably higher at stock settings, staying around 4GHz. Scroll down to see the graph toward the bottom of this page for what the multi-core boosts can be like...

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-5-2600,5625.html

The 2600 can perform similar to a 2600X, but only with an overclock. They are pretty much the same CPU, but the X version should boost higher at default settings. The 2600X also comes with a somewhat larger bundled cooler, to better support those higher clocks. Of course, you can typically get the 2600, add an even better 120mm tower cooler and overclock for less. The 2600X should provide better out-of-box performance though.

Also, you should probably go with at least DDR4 3000 RAM for Ryzen, as it tends to be more sensitive to RAM speed.

I agree with getting faster ram. Also, if you will not overclock, get the 2600x. It will cost slightly more, but will give a higher clock speed out of the box.

On the asrock board, solid choice. I'm running a 1700x on the b350 version of that board. Stock speeds for now, but I'm happy with it.

steelrfan85

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I keep hearing about stability problems with the ryzen series with RAM and bios updates all the time because of bugs and problems. Is it better just to go for an intel since it’s been around for a lot longer or still go with ryzen? I don’t want to have to fuss around just use out of the box stock. I’m not comfortable overclocking since I have no idea and afraid of overheating. I already bought a EVGA gtx 1070 so not worried about integrated graphics. Such a hard decision.

hutchl

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2014
Both are dual core, quad thread parts. The Intel processor has the frequency advantage, running at 3.7 GHz compared to the 3.2 GHz of AMD, but the AMD has beefier Vega 3 integrated graphics compared to the UHD 610 (GT1) graphics of the Intel chip.
For most people Intel is currently better than AMD. The general performance of a 3.6GHz AMD Ryzen 1800X CPU compared to a 7th Generation 4.2GHz Intel Kaby Lake Core i 7 7700K CPU is slightly weaker, and yet the AMD processor costs hundreds of dollars more than the Intel equivalent.
Intel's current generation of processors has 14nm processors while AMD is at 24nm. AMD has no competition for Intel's Core i5, i7, and Xeon processors. ... However AMD uses the LGA TR4 socket for Threadripper. Now the main difference boils down to performance and value for your hard earned bucks according to me.

In what world is a Ryzen 5 2600 or i5 8600 a dual core part??? Also the Ryzen 5 2600 does not have integrated GFX.

Reactions: WildCard999
Both are dual core, quad thread parts. The Intel processor has the frequency advantage, running at 3.7 GHz compared to the 3.2 GHz of AMD, but the AMD has beefier Vega 3 integrated graphics compared to the UHD 610 (GT1) graphics of the Intel chip.
For most people Intel is currently better than AMD. The general performance of a 3.6GHz AMD Ryzen 1800X CPU compared to a 7th Generation 4.2GHz Intel Kaby Lake Core i 7 7700K CPU is slightly weaker, and yet the AMD processor costs hundreds of dollars more than the Intel equivalent.
Intel's current generation of processors has 14nm processors while AMD is at 24nm. AMD has no competition for Intel's Core i5, i7, and Xeon processors. ... However AMD uses the LGA TR4 socket for Threadripper. Now the main difference boils down to performance and value for your hard earned bucks according to me.

The above is a perfect example of someone who hasn't a clue what they're speaking about and would have been better served to not comment at all.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ignore what Bi LY TV said, it's complete nonsense from the very first sentence.

Ryzen. Same core count +Hyperthreads. Better than Intel for production or heavy multitasking like gaming + streaming. OC is always an option, no restrictions other than on A series motherboards. Ryzen hyperthreading has strong performance gains with faster ram as the Infinity engine works hand in hand with clock speeds.

Intel. Stronger IPC, for programs using less than full capacity, intel gets a performance gain vrs stock Ryzen. OC and OC prerogatives only with Z mobo's and K cpus. Intel memory controller works best with 1:1 ram, 2133 for skylake, 2400 for kabylake, 2666 for coffeelake. Very little gains with faster ram in gaming, some decent gains in certain production apps.

Ryzen is better overall, larger variety of options, will have better support for longer. Typically equitable to Intel for most levels, Intel having the advantage only in the highest levels.

Reactions: popatim
Solution