Intel Outs DX79SI Extreme Series Motherboard Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
what is the point of 14 usb2 ports?

keyboard (mine is ps2, i believe thats the name)
mouse
stick (mine can be a usb, but not its basic connection, its old as hell)
pad
external hdd (better with usb3) 2
mic
tablet

really i only have 6 things, and 2 of which would benefit from usb 3 how can usb 3 still not be a standard port in new motherboards?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Kamab[/nom]8 DIMM slots is pretty overkill for a gamer.[/citation]
they use the word enthusiasts

i would personally load up 32gb of ram in that, and set probably 24gb of that to ram disk

... you could cram 64GB of ram on that puppy if you used 8GB sticks. Move over SSD, and welcome back Ram drives!
Seriously though, what can this possibly offer a gamer that 1155 SB cannot? Games are still only designed for 4 cores and 4GB of ram. I suppose this has more PCIe lanes, but considering we have not tapped out the 16x slots (unless you count the 590 which might), you do not need that many PCIe lanes to be effective, you just need them well distributed. Sure, some day future games could take advantage of this kind of hardware, but so long as the console crowd must be appeased on current gen hardware, then this will not happen.

What I really see this for is content creation. Imagine complex cad or video work on something like this. It would be a dream come true, and would push the system to it's max. throw a few revo drives, and some high end workstation graphics, and this would really let content creators push their work through much faster.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]beenthere[/nom]This looks like a solution for a problem that does not exist. I mean really (8) DIMM slots and (14)USB ports - for what purpose?[/citation]

Well, 8 dim slots @ 8gb dims per slot is 64gb of ram, 14 usb ports would let me get rid of 2 USB hubs..... all you need is Windows 7/64 or linux and you are gold.

My Q6600 is suppose to support more than 64gb of ram and that never happened, it is great to finally see some movement.

G

The picture shows 6 USB2 ports and what look like 2 USB3 ports... http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1708/ ??

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]what is the point of 14 usb2 ports?keyboard (mine is ps2, i believe thats the name)mousestick (mine can be a usb, but not its basic connection, its old as hell) padexternal hdd (better with usb3) 2mictabletreally i only have 6 things, and 2 of which would benefit from usb 3 how can usb 3 still not be a standard port in new motherboards?[/citation]

You don't own a printer? I don't know about 14 ports, but using more than 6 is a piece of cake.

2 printers - b&w laser, color inkjet
mouse
keyboard
1 external HD
gamepad
mp3 player
cell phone - easier than bluetooth, and BT doesn't charge
UPS
garmin gps watch

Nothing particularly exotic there, and that's 10 peripherals. A more relevant complaint than too many USB ports, is why an enthusiast targeted board only has 6 SATA ports?

[citation][nom]beenthere[/nom]This looks like a solution for a problem that does not exist. I mean really (8) DIMM slots and (14)USB ports - for what purpose?[/citation]

SB-E is and always has ben marketed towards enthusiasts, workstations and entry level servers. For enthusiasts, its all about more and more. For workstations/servers, more RAM = better.

As for USB, I have had people ask for tons of them. Never know why but some people need them somehow. Tons of USB external HDDs?

[citation][nom]jn77[/nom]Well, 8 dim slots @ 8gb dims per slot is 64gb of ram, 14 usb ports would let me get rid of 2 USB hubs..... all you need is Windows 7/64 or linux and you are gold.My Q6600 is suppose to support more than 64gb of ram and that never happened, it is great to finally see some movement.[/citation]

Thats a limitation of the mobo and memory though. DDR2 topped out at 2GB DIMMs for the most part. DDR3 is already at 4GB DIMMs standard, 8GB DIMMs are moving up and 16GB DIMMs are in servers.

SB-E can actually support up to 192GB total per mobo as the quad channel supports up to 3 DIMMs per channel meaning 12 slots at 16GB each or 192GB. This mobo will push 128GB physically. I wonder what the limitation will be on it though.

As for Windows 7, it does depend on the version Home Premium is limited to 16GB, Pro and up is 192GB.

yumri

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
i think it is underpowered for what it is aimed at but overpowered for what it will be used for. what i think it is aimed at is the workstation class of computers which will actually need all that RAM and power for what they do but for like gamers the stuff which has been coming out i do not see any games using 6+ cores, 4+ GB of memory and etc. with what they are having but with workstation applications and sever applications boards like this will probably be used for low end servers and higher end work station used for like animation, CAD, and the like. it is to much for a gamer but to little for an application and/or VM sever.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Only three problems that may be a problem with this board:
That northbridge heatsink is a little too close to the #1 PCI-E slot. Why an NEC usb 3.0 chip, this is minor of course as 3.0 has yet to really take off. And, why firewire?

G

Memadax: Really, everyone can use more RAM? I'm guessing you've never checked your task manager to see how little you use.

This is a fail on the magnitude that Skull Trail was. Realistically, virtualization is just about the only real-world scenario where you can use, let's say, 16GB of RAM. You'd still be hard pressed to use 64GB of RAM even with virtualization, being that you're not going to easily have more than 6 VMs running on a single Sandy Bridge-E CPU.

A fool and his money...

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]... you could cram 64GB of ram on that puppy if you used 8GB sticks. Move over SSD, and welcome back Ram drives!Seriously though, what can this possibly offer a gamer that 1155 SB cannot? Games are still only designed for 4 cores and 4GB of ram. I suppose this has more PCIe lanes, but considering we have not tapped out the 16x slots (unless you count the 590 which might), you do not need that many PCIe lanes to be effective, you just need them well distributed. Sure, some day future games could take advantage of this kind of hardware, but so long as the console crowd must be appeased on current gen hardware, then this will not happen.What I really see this for is content creation. Imagine complex cad or video work on something like this. It would be a dream come true, and would push the system to it's max. throw a few revo drives, and some high end workstation graphics, and this would really let content creators push their work through much faster.[/citation]
Radeon 79xx reportedly will support PCIe 3.0, so it's good to offer your customers ability to Crossfire them in 16x/16x 3.0 mode.

claydavis

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
I think this is the latest one after the long time. I have been waiting for the release of some new model Motherboards for the past years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS