Intel Outs Kaby Lake Pentium CPUs With Hyper-Threading

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
The $65 G4560 looks interesting for super budget builds. At 3.5 GHz, it offers 95% of the performance of an i3-6100 for 56% of the price (based on MSRP), and the i3-6100 is still a fairly decent 1080p CPU.

Maybe Intel has decided that it has to be it's own competition, since AMD hasn't done much lately! I know AMD has a new series coming out, but we will have to see.

i3-7350K is at a weird price point. It's overclockable, but then you'd want a better motherboard which adds a bit to the price.

However, if you get the cheaper motherboard and an i5-7xxx CPU it might make more sense for a similar price.

:lol: Now this is funny. Yeah Intel had to turn on themselves! That says it all about AMD..

iPanda

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015
so with HT... will these chips be able to play far cry 3+ or other similar games? or does it have to be 4 actual cores. i don't remember... that's the only detail I would be hesitant from a gaming standpoint; as that would gimp certain games from even running (apparently). But for regular browsing and such, great.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Intel's i3s in the past performed well in games that took advantage of 2+ threads. Games do not require four full fledged cores. They only offload a few tasks. I think the pentium's with ht will perform great for the price.

They actually seem like a better deal than the unlocked i3 that will require a decent motherboard to take advantage of the overclock (adding cost where an i5 would make more sense)

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I see this as a positive sign.. Intels seeing AMD as possibly serious competition and is taking steps.. to potentially try to under mind whats coming.

AMD has always been most competitive in the value market. By Intel undercutting the price by such a large margin on them self's. There possibly putting AMD into a tight spot. Basically AMD has to sell chips at X amount or they can't make back development cost etc. Still this is really positive news, cause to me its showing Intel's a bit concerned with AMD. The way they casually slipped it in to me almost seems like them having to say something but not wanting to upset investors by coming out and going! We are value pricing these chips to compete with upcoming competition from AMD.

Claude_8

Commendable
Jun 26, 2016
Now if they could have 4 cores/8 threads on I5 and 6-8 cores on regulars I7 this would be realy nice...

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
Man makes no sense why intel has so many frikking skus. Going from the wiki there are more then 50 skus for a single piece of silicon? (at least i think they are all the same chip, might be 2 tho, if mobile is different from desktop, but probably not)

Small error in your article there...

Just for the record, only the i3-73xx CPUs have 4MB Cache. The i3-71xx CPUs (like the i3-7100) has only 3MB cache just like the Pentiums. So, for example, literally the only difference between the i3-7100 and the Pentium G4620 is a 200mhz clock speed and AVX2.

alextheblue

Distinguished
The 35W models look like they'd be good for compact low-power machines. HT would help them out tremendously. These chips would be great for office machines and other inexpensive general-purpose machines.

I really wanted to like the i3-7350K... but at that price... no way. Maybe if it was substantially cheaper, or if the OC-friendly boards were cheaper, or both. But as it stands I agree with some of the other posts - you're better off getting an i5 with 4 physical cores and a more affordable mainboard.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Mind you that there's some data on 4c/4t ryzens, probably the new Athlon line.

For gaming the Athlon 860K is better than any i3 or now pentium with HT. As soon as the game demand cores, you will be in a festival of stutter and low frames (Rise of the Tomb Raider 860K > i3 6100)

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Why you you want a pathetic dual core that can be OCd? No OC in the world will help when the applications are bottlenecked by a lack of cpu resources (specially new games post dx12/vulkan/ps4pro)

With cpu's around 4Ghz there's no need to OC at all, OC to get what 1-5% more fps or none?

Yeah, that $168 suggested price that's currently being displayed for the i3 7350K is absolutely ridiculous. Add a cheap 212 EVO to that price for overclocking and you're already at the price of the i5 7500 (more than the i5 7400), and that's before you've paid for the overclockable motherboard.

Where I think these Pentiums might offer something really interesting is for those people who don't quite have the budget to get to an i5 build upfront without making huge sacrifices on the GPU. In the past, we've really had to recommend an i3 build, which is okay up-front, but come GPU upgrade time in 2-3 years, the i3 is probably not going to have the grunt for a new GPU and so that person really has to start looking at a substantial (and expensive) multi-component upgrade if not an entirely new rig.

If you can get a Pentium with HT for ~$60, then it's going to serve as an *okay* gaming CPU for an interim period. So the person in the situation above can grab the rig they really want and put up with the HT Pentium while they save for an i5 or i7 which should last them a good few years in the long run. Of course you're better off doing it all up front and not wasting $60 on a Pentium, but sometimes budgets are fixed and this offers a potential avenue to a better long term solution while spreading the cost over time. Might be a better choice for some.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Err, no. An 860K loses to a G3258 more often than not, let alone an i3 (not that I'm recommending people get a G3258).
http://www.techspot.com/review/1017-best-budget-gaming-cpu/page7.html

Regarding 860K vs i3-6100 in RotTR: http://www.techspot.com/review/1128-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-benchmarks/page5.html
6100 handily beats the 860k in both average and minimum (which correspond to stutter) frame rates.

Edit: In other words, I'd much rather get a G4560 than an 860K.

If the initial leaked slides of AMD pricing the SR3 (4C/8T) beast at $150 is more or less true, then it is hard to consider any Intel CPU up until a high end i5 and i7's mainstream and extreme. For 5--60 dollars more you will get an enthusiast level chip.

AMD will further have Raven Ridge APU's based on Zen architecture featuring 4 cores and 8 threads with a Vega based GCN iGPU on the AM4 socket. This is intel reacting to the market not improvising. HTT has ramped the pentium price up 40 dollars which is already unattractive for a CPU with no AVX support.

gr4v3h34rt

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017
TJ HOOKER Jan 10, 2017, 2:40 PM
The $65 G4560 looks interesting for super budget builds. At 3.5 GHz, it offers 95% of the performance of an i3-6100 for 56% of the price (based on MSRP), and the i3-6100 is still a fairly decent 1080p CPU.

Totally agree with this. Hopefully, retailers here the Philippines would get these babies out as soon as possible then price them appropriately. I was almost about to plunk in for one of them i3 6100's. Now i might hold off for a few months.

Check these benchmarks out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZEj-AosLvI

Status
Not open for further replies.