Intel overclocking guide help

Jul 2, 2018
Can someone explain to me step by step how to overclock my CPU? Here are the relevent specs of my build:

I7-6700k
Corsair H115i cooler
Asus maximus 8 hero alpha motherboard

I am a utter and complete noob to overclocking even though my pc is custom. For a while i used an auto tuner but i reset it to stock over fear of overvolting, Please explain any terminology used. For a while my stock clock speed was fine until i decided to get into emulation. If yoiu need any other specs just ask.

Solution
You may use Prim95 for stressing your CPU and testing stability. Important: Keep CPU core temps und VCore under control!
The advice to start OC with 4,6Ghz I do not support at all. Try to run 4,2Ghz stable at the beginning with the ambition to achieve 4,5Ghz. Usually all - even the lower quality i7 - can go that far. Achieving more might then be possible, but bare in mind that there is never a guarantee for high OCs as every CPU has its unique OC potential.

parani

Honorable
Jun 15, 2015
Go to bios and go to advanced OC settings . Set the clock speed by entering it in clock speed tab . I guess Asus Mobo needs the value to be entered . Try from 4.6 ghz and see if it's stable. They increase it to 4.7 and 4.8 and check for stability. If it's stable at a certain clock speed, say 4.8ghz , they go to vcore voltage tab under advanced OC settings .Then set the voltage to manual and reduce the voltage by 0.2v . If it's 1.36v , they reduce it by 1.34 , 1.32, ...so on and check for stability . If you find the lowest stable voltage that run 4.8ggz , like 1.28v , then save those settings.

Jul 2, 2018

Can you define checking for stability? and dont you have to increase the voltage along with the clock speed or is it automatic in the bios?

parani

Honorable
Jun 15, 2015
Stability means ,run the benchmark tool like cinebench r15 and see there is shutdown or blue screen issues. If it's completed the benchmark,then it should be stable . You don't need to adjust the voltage until you find the stable clock speed.it will be automatically set by bios . You only change it after finding the stable clock speed

Gaidax

Distinguished
That's no stability lol. I can run Cinebench right and left with totally wrong clocks and vcore.

Read this guide if you want real stability: https://www.google.co.il/amp/s/overclocking.guide/stability-testing-with-prime-95/amp/

Yes one the tests is 21 hours long, but if you want be sure you are stable you need it. Make sure you use version 26.6 of Prime95 - newer versions are no good for such testing.

There is a shorter test there too, like half an hour but that's like quick verification that things are not WAY off, because if they totally are you will bluescreen. This is not enough though, just quick check you are in the right direction.

But Gaidax, system boots, Cinebench runs, why do I need this thing?

Explanation: instability is not only when you crash and bluescreen outright. It can also result in garbage written to disk without anyone knowing any better, things will supposedly run well, but you won't see this until you permanently corrupt the data and start experiencing strange crashes down the road. That's why Prime95 21 hour test is needed, because it can spot instability over time, produce errors which are not outright crash and you will see that.

Jul 2, 2018

my computer used to be run at 4.8 ghz and pretty stable using an auto overclock for months. can i just completly bypass the benchmark since it used to be 4.8? can i just go straight to voltage step?

Jul 2, 2018

i am doing intensive tasks. the reason why i want to overclock is because my cpu can barely handle ps2 emulation so i want to increase it.

Jul 2, 2018
ok so so far i tried using an auto profile to get to around 4.5 @ 1.488 volts. i know its too much so could someone give me a maximum voltage for 4.6? I don't mind putting in extra volts as it only gives more thermals and i have a good cooler so ill take higher temps for 100% guaranteed stability. i dont want a perfect oc i want a decent one. i did a 15 min stress test and my max was about 83C with no throttling.

7664stefan

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
You may use Prim95 for stressing your CPU and testing stability. Important: Keep CPU core temps und VCore under control!
The advice to start OC with 4,6Ghz I do not support at all. Try to run 4,2Ghz stable at the beginning with the ambition to achieve 4,5Ghz. Usually all - even the lower quality i7 - can go that far. Achieving more might then be possible, but bare in mind that there is never a guarantee for high OCs as every CPU has its unique OC potential.

Solution