[SOLVED] Intel overclocking vs turbo boost

shaun88

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012
Can someone please tell me the different between overclocking and turbo boost.
For example why would someone overclock an i7 9700k to say 4.5ghz when the turbo boost can do it automatically to 4.9ghz?
I assume turbo boost works automatically when you’re playing high demanding games etc

Solution
Turbo boost is reliant on temperatures, and you less likely to get it when gaming as the temps need to be cool enough to boost to that speed. Its automatic and you have no control over it beyond ambient temps
Overclocking sets max speed and lets you control when you want to run at that speed. Less at the whim of nature.

There could be more to it (and I am no expert on overclocking)

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/resources/turbo-boost.html

Number of cores involved also varies, Turbo may be on less than an OC.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Turbo boost is reliant on temperatures, and you less likely to get it when gaming as the temps need to be cool enough to boost to that speed. Its automatic and you have no control over it beyond ambient temps
Overclocking sets max speed and lets you control when you want to run at that speed. Less at the whim of nature.

There could be more to it (and I am no expert on overclocking)

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/resources/turbo-boost.html

Number of cores involved also varies, Turbo may be on less than an OC.

Last edited:
Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Can someone please tell me the different between overclocking and turbo boost.
For example why would someone overclock an i7 9700k to say 4.5ghz when the turbo boost can do it automatically to 4.9ghz?
I assume turbo boost works automatically when you’re playing high demanding games etc
This is the 9700K turbo speed boost.

OK actually if you overclocked all cores to 4.5 you actually down clocked that processor since it's all core turbo speed is 4.6.

The turbo boost can do 4.9 but that is not on all cores if you were going to overclock the processor it would have to be more than 4.6 that the turbo speed can do all cores itself.

I hope that helps to clear it up some and yes the turbo speed works auto nothing to do..

Last edited: