PeterC

Distinguished
May 31, 2004
I built a system with an Intel MB D865PERL and had a freeze up problem when I inserted a CD and the auto run started. I then changed out the MB to an Abit I7. Checked the memory, added 1/2 then the other 1/2 and had the same lock up. I increased the voltage to the memory and changed out the power supply. I tried two different DVD-ROMS, one a USB and one an IDE (one at a time) and system still has a freeze problem. Three clean installs of Windows XP home later, I still have the same problem. Now the CPU is the only common part between the two systems that freeze. Is this a problem that can be caused by the CPU? I have run out of ideas.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Bad cable? I assume you've tried different ones. I just can't think of anything else it could be either, EXCEPT possibly the Chip is a Prescott and neither of those motherboards can handle it without a BIOS update. Have you had this CPU running before?

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

cheepgeek

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2004
i'm running into a similar problem with my system, but i'm pretty sure mine is a PSU issue. your system runs fine til you try using you optical drive... big power drain. if your PSU can't handle that amount of drain it's gonna lock up on you. be sure to do a little research on PSU's before you buy a new one, if you go that route. be prepared to spend $50 - $75 on a new one... don't want to settle for same quality as you already have

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
Check your BIOS to see if it detects all Drives plugged into the system. XP generally will not install if finds the smallest Hardware problem.

So the basic issue here is HEAT sounds like a component is failing due to heat dissipation problems.

Graphics cards and CPU's are famous for this issue.

<font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=orange>LOVES</font color=orange> <font color=red>CANADA</font color=red>

PeterC

Distinguished
May 31, 2004
I found the problem. I used the MB default power setting. I looked on the Intel site and found for my CPU it should be a Core/Max. Voltage of 1.55v.
I went into the BIOS and changed the voltage and it is like a new machine!
It only took me a few months of looking at the wrong things and buying a new MB, power suply and video card. But I learned something. Hope this can help someone else too.

RichPLS

Champion
at least you had plenty of money to throw at it.

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>