News Intel Panther Lake processors could pack up to 16 cores, maximum of four performance cores according to leak

Amdlova

Distinguished
Intel is F.. they have fear from arm (Apple) invest tons of money on e-cores they need to launch it to try grab something. If the e-core can provide 80% of a p-core maybe they have something on the hands...

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
16 Raptor Cove+ cores doesn't sound too bad for mobile.
Even with 18A that will be tough to keep the power consumption reasonable. Limiting the larger, more power hungry cores on mobile sounds like a good idea.
You have to remember that these e cores are faster than Zen 4, even if they are slower than the Panther Lake p cores.

anoldnewb

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
16 Raptor Cove+ cores doesn't sound too bad for mobile.
Even with 18A that will be tough to keep the power consumption reasonable. Limiting the larger, more power hungry cores on mobile sounds like a good idea.
You have to remember that these e cores are faster than Zen 4, even if they are slower than the Panther Lake p cores.
Would you provide a link to the test results

Reactions: Thunder64

JasHod1

Reputable
Mar 24, 2021
If that was the case they would make a full processor out of that. These won't be close to Zen 4. Probably not even close to Zen 3.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
The article said:
Intel's Panther Lake-U/H processors are designed with a multi-die architecture. They will include three active dies: one for compute tasks, one for graphics, and a Platform Connectivity Hub (PCD). Additionally, there will be two passive dies that provide structural support to enhance rigidity.
It would be a baller move to have a high-end SKU where these "filler" dies get replaced with SRAM dies, for extra L3 or L4 cache.

Reactions: thestryker

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Yet another reason for switching to AMD. 4 Pcores ? Really? :LOL:
The E-cores got too fat, and now they only have enough silicon budget left for 4 P-cores.
: D

I'm half joking, though. I think this won't be their high-end mobile part. However, it does look like the Alder/Raptor/Meteor Lake era of mainstream mobile CPUs with 6 P-cores is at an end.

What I don't get is why go to 4x LP E-cores? Are there really so many cases where you need more than 2 of them, but not more than 4?

Last edited:

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
How exactly, do you mean!?
When Intel announced Lunar Lake, they said the Skymont E-cores have about the same IPC as Raptor Cove. Raptor Cove has better IPC than Zen 4. So, depending on how fast you think they'll clock, the 8x E-cores of Panther Lake could be slightly faster than 8x Zen 4 cores in one of their mobile APUs, if not a desktop part like the 7700X.

It's a somewhat flawed comparison, since it doesn't take into account SMT. It's also quite an extrapolation, so I'll wait for performance data on launched product.

Reactions: rluker5
When Intel announced Lunar Lake, they said the Skymont E-cores have about the same IPC as Raptor Cove. Raptor Cove has better IPC than Zen 4. So, depending on how fast you think they'll clock, the 8x E-cores of Panther Lake could be faster than 8x Zen 4 cores in one of their mobile APUs, if not a desktop part like the 7700X.

It's a somewhat flawed comparison, since it doesn't take into account SMT. It's also quite an extrapolation, so I'll wait for performance data on launched product.
Yeah, that was kinda my point. It's not really a known quantity, and as such comparisons don't hold up. Having hard data to explain why this may or may not be true makes it easier for everyone to understand.

Reactions: bit_user

baboma

Notable
Nov 3, 2022
Starting with Meteor, Intel had bifurcated the mobile segment into two parts, premium thin&light, and everything else. MTL's distinguishing factors are superior iGPU and better power efficiency.

That continued with Lunar, which alone has Xe2 cores out of all Intel parts for this gen, along with improved power efficiency. LNL's emphasis on efficiency does come at the expense of reducing its range on applicable laptops, which I think will cause some loss of marketshare to Ryzen 300.

Perhaps that can't be avoided, as Intel also had to worry about ARM chips making inroads with its better power efficiency--it'll be interesting to see how LNL compares to ARM on this front--and had to make efficiency the main goal. Moreover, since LNL relies mostly on TSMC silicon, perhaps it was an intentional decision to limit its target market to reduce cost.

We can reasonably say that Intel will continue the above strategy, and Panther (PTL) will again be a premium thin&light part, focusing on graphics and efficiency, and replacing LNL. But if PTL's higher core count and power limits in the rumor prove true, then PTL will have a substantially wider range than LNL, and will appear in more laptop segments to better compete against Ryzen.

Looking forward to LNL's announcement tomorrow.

What I don't get is why go to 4x LP E-cores? Are there really so many cases where you need more than 2 of them, but not more than 4?
I guess it'd depend on what they're being used for, but technically the LNL E-cores are LPE so if it's similar to that where the primary difference is being disconnected from the ring for power purposes it could make sense. If they're like the MTL implementation then yeah I'd have to agree completely that it would be weird.

D1v1n3D

Distinguished
May 8, 2015
LoL, I swear to god the world has turned into a bunch of grifters from game devs to the titans of chip manufacturing well Intel is losing money hand over fist now they are turning into AMD pre Dr. Lisa Su. Anyone trying to claim these E-cores are faster than Zen4 are either a TROLL or ignorant as can be. Intel is going backwards these are straight FACTS at this point. AMD has yet to launch its x3d zen5 chips and zen5 is way more efficient than zen4 while zen4 is way more efficient than Intel 13th and 14th gen and MOST likely 15th gen. Zen6 is where it changes even more dramatically for AMD as they go to 16core CCD and 32core ccx for desktop users. While on the server side is going to have up to 32core on a single CCD tell me how InFELL is going to catch up at this rate lol. Dr. Lisa Su called it saying thanks for the last 50 years but we got the next 50. mic drop...

Reactions: TeamRed2024
Aug 12, 2024
Dr. Lisa Su called it saying thanks for the last 50 years but we got the next 50. mic drop...

What she has done with AMD is nothing short of remarkable. Give that woman a raise. I've ran Intel processors since 1997 but when it came time for this new build AMD was the obvious choice.

Sep 2, 2024
Hello experts, A question about x86 multicores these days. It used to be that if one core suffered an uncorrectable machine check such an SEU, there were so many opcodes in flight, and cache entanglements it was impossible to restart or resume a core without rebooting the whole processor. Is this still the case now that core counts are on the rise?