Intel Patents a Future PC Feature: A Smart Soft Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]How is this different than Avaya's One-X softphone?!? lol[/citation]

More irritatingly, why were they granted yet another patent on an idea?

frombehind

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Rather than just more raw performance, computers are likely to go down a path of much greater integration in the future.

Am I the only one one here that would rather see more raw performance?

In 4 years I want to be playing crysis 4 in full 4k resolution at 120 FPS, or hell, maybe even in Full virtual reality... Instead of counting the megabytes of my capped data plan imbedded into my 5th generation core i7 tablet, and wondering if I really can stream another movie from netflix, without incurring a 20 dollar "fee"

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]How is this different than Avaya's One-X softphone?!? lol[/citation]
Or Cisco IP Communicator, but here's hopefully the difference. You don't need $50,000 worth of Avaya/Cisco servers to use it.

snowzsan

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
[citation][nom]frombehind[/nom]Am I the only one one here that would rather see more raw performance? In 4 years I want to be playing crysis 4 in full 4k resolution at 120 FPS, or hell, maybe even in Full virtual reality... Instead of counting the megabytes of my capped data plan imbedded into my 5th generation core i7 tablet, and wondering if I really can stream another movie from netflix, without incurring a 20 dollar "fee"[/citation]

I hear you on the data charges. I work for T-Mobile so I know full well that customer's are not big fans of additional fees. That is why they have the unlimited plans where you get a cap, and once you go over, they simply throttle down your service instead of allowing you to incur additional charges. So that's food for though.

On the flip side, the handheld market, as mature as some believe it to be, is actually rather young in comparison. Give it time. These services gradually drop in price as time goes on, unless they release a newer service like say 5 G, etc. etc. Then the prices remain the same if you so choose to upgrade.

Overall though, it depends on what provider you go with.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
So, the patent office strikes again with a patent with prior art written all over it?

The article says it all:
Microsoft and Intel jointly developed TAPI and launched the technology back in 1993 for Windows 3.1.
Besides having other soft phones all around us already.
Difference? Using a PC? Not so different to me to be able to set it as a new "thing".

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Let me get this straight. A phone number is displayed ###-###-#### and a UI displays options for the person to choose to do with the info (save it / call it / forward it / trash it / etc)...

Like pretty much obvious from what we already do TODAY with Caller ID on our cell phones?!

Think I will find a way to patent the function of pressing the ON button which results in a hardware device to come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS