Intel Pentium 4 640 vs 641 Question

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Hi, was planning to buy a intel pentium 4 3.2 640 processor, but i noticed that a 641 (cedar mill, created using the 65nm technology) is "out there" as well , i know that both are HT, i heard that the 641 temps are lower (because the 65nm process)

does anyone know what are the differences betwean these 2 modells, or other xx1 models???

Thank You

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
The major difference between the 6x1 Cedar Mills and the 6x0 Prescotts is that the former uses the 65nm process and the latter uses the 90nm process. This means that the Cedar Mills run cooler, requires less voltage, and uses less power. All of which make them a great overclocker if you are so inclined. However, the current Cedar Mills have the EIST feature disabled, but because of their 65nm process the difference isn't very significant when idle. EIST won't be available until the new C-1 stepping is released in April. You should probably note that the Cedar Mills do not have VT as that was only enabled on Presler.

If at all possible you should go for a Cedar Mill. They may be a bit more expensive though. A i945, i955 or i975 chipset is recommended. i915 and i925 support varies. I believe all nVidia and ATI chipsets work though.

satch_rules5150

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
and yes the 6x1 series is the new cedar mill (65nm) it will run much cooler and be easier to overclock, as well as have the VT function.

i would say to go for the 6x1 if you need to go with a single core. but remember that most newer software will be optimized for dual core processors.

i would say looking at a Pentium D 805 or a 920 would be a better choice, in the intel lineup.

and it goes without saying a athlon 3800x2 would be better but a little more money.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
The major difference between the 6x1 Cedar Mills and the 6x0 Prescotts is that the former uses the 65nm process and the latter uses the 90nm process. This means that the Cedar Mills run cooler, requires less voltage, and uses less power. All of which make them a great overclocker if you are so inclined. However, the current Cedar Mills have the EIST feature disabled, but because of their 65nm process the difference isn't very significant when idle. EIST won't be available until the new C-1 stepping is released in April. You should probably note that the Cedar Mills do not have VT as that was only enabled on Presler.

If at all possible you should go for a Cedar Mill. They may be a bit more expensive though. A i945, i955 or i975 chipset is recommended. i915 and i925 support varies. I believe all nVidia and ATI chipsets work though.

IIRC, Cedar Mill 6x2 CPU's have Virtualization Technology. I don't know if they are released or will be, but I believe that was the initial plan.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' he world 1 rig at a time

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
thx guyz i just checked on intles site and it does not mention that 641 has vt (it lacks it) btw what is EIST? , and another noob question what does vt do? hm... i think i will not oc the procesor for now so ill look at it not for ocing...for now

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
thx guyz i just checked on intles site and it does not mention that 641 has vt (it lacks it) btw what is EIST? , and another noob question what does vt do? hm... i think i will not oc the procesor for now so ill look at it not for ocing...for now

EIST is Intel Enhanced SpeedStep Technology. It's a fancy way of saying it slows the processor down when idle to save power. VT lets you run multiple operating systems at once.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
thank you for the fast reply :).....so i guess the steping technology would be useful to me and the other ....for now i gues not;)...im stil uncertain which one is beter;)...temperature vise , andoverall(they are almost the same price)

LithiumSunset

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
The preslers run cooler as a result of their newer technology however, they both use netburst which isn't exactly the best but, Intel has improved it since its introduction. I would get the presler core myself.

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
ok lol now im totaly confused;) ( im honestly quite new to cpu, and their models) presler u mean the 640 series? correct?;) ...sory for such a noob question, but just wanted to streight that one out;) btw i think the 641 is a single core if that is what u ment by" cedar is 2 preslers"

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
lol one more confusing thought;) 640 or 641, lol guess this is a harder to answer question than i thought at first;) lol to be honset im loking for a good cpu, not so expensive, thats why i picked the 640 series($215 i think is a nice price for a 3.2 HT cpu, considering im still using a 1.7 ;) ) i also wanted relatively low power consumption, and not so hot(i know lol a good hsf would do it;) ...im planing to get a Zalman CuAl 7000 or 7700 sries, i forgot which one;)), im not planing to overclock (atleast not for now...ok no oc ing at all for the next 2 years or so;)...i still havent oc my 1.7 at all :( ...and thats why i didnt want the dual cores, I do not multitask that much, but maby im very wrong, maby 2 slower dualcores are beter than a 1 fast(er) singlecore, ...as i said before im relatively new to cpu infos, i havent spent much time on his hardware part;)....if anythini might consider a dualcore 2.8 (they are simmilar pricewise) but the power consumption, and heat generated gives me an aversion to it;)...and i gues for a price of a 3.0 dualcore i could find a Pentium 4 3.4 or maby even a 3.6 singlecore, (lol yup im a bit budget restrained) :(....and that $15 difference betwean the 640 and 641 is nothing , if the 641 is worth it overall, thats why i posted my inquiies here, i knew the "comunity " has more experience in this sort of "questions" than i do ;)

...thx for the help, and any replies

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Well, I tell ya what, I would go for the 805 then. It's quite a value right now and from what I understand, it's a pretty good performing chip. Something else to take into consideration. I see alot of people picking that chip up and the reviews on it are pretty good. Also, Intel is getting ready to drop prices on all of their chips including the preslers. Something else to consider. Should be sometime here soon.

malphadour

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Bloody hell, way to confuse the guy!!!

Can someone please add some more Intel code names and models just so nobody at knows whats going on!!

It doesn't help having Prescott AND Presler, the bystander could easily assume they were related.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Bloody hell, way to confuse the guy!!!

Can someone please add some more Intel code names and models just so nobody at knows whats going on!!

It doesn't help having Prescott AND Presler, the bystander could easily assume they were related.

Okay.. why not

COPPERMINE

kyleawesome

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
lol one more confusing thought;) 640 or 641, lol guess this is a harder to answer question than i thought at first;) lol to be honset im loking for a good cpu, not so expensive, thats why i picked the 640 series($215 i think is a nice price for a 3.2 HT cpu, considering im still using a 1.7 ;) ) i also wanted relatively low power consumption, and not so hot(i know lol a good hsf would do it;) ...im planing to get a Zalman CuAl 7000 or 7700 sries, i forgot which one;)), im not planing to overclock (atleast not for now...ok no oc ing at all for the next 2 years or so;)...i still havent oc my 1.7 at all :( ...and thats why i didnt want the dual cores, I do not multitask that much, but maby im very wrong, maby 2 slower dualcores are beter than a 1 fast(er) singlecore, ...as i said before im relatively new to cpu infos, i havent spent much time on his hardware part;)....if anythini might consider a dualcore 2.8 (they are simmilar pricewise) but the power consumption, and heat generated gives me an aversion to it;)...and i gues for a price of a 3.0 dualcore i could find a Pentium 4 3.4 or maby even a 3.6 singlecore, (lol yup im a bit budget restrained) :(....and that $15 difference betwean the 640 and 641 is nothing , if the 641 is worth it overall, thats why i posted my inquiies here, i knew the "comunity " has more experience in this sort of "questions" than i do ;)

...thx for the help, and any replies

I normally wouldnt do this, but out of the two you'll be alot happier with the 641 then the 640. It runs cooler, uses less enegry and with the EM64T you still have room to expand (i.e. windows x64, linux x64, windows vista) For only 15 bucks (I believe thats what you said the difference was) the 641 is def. the better buy.

Now, someone mentioned Presler. Presler is Intels new dual core line, with the 920, 930, 940, 950, 955. Presler is just like having two cedar mill cpus (in a basic sense). Dual cores are a great idea, they help greatly if you use your computer for more then one thing at a time (i.e. rip a cd, and burn another at the same time. OR record music and run a synth or sampler at the same time OR game and look up cheats on the internet at the same time) If you can wait, then wait Intel will be dropping prices so you'll probably be able to get a dual core for a little more then what you'd pay for a single core now. For me, that just isnt an option, I need a new chip, (actually I'm just giving my girlfriend mine and upgrading) and I really dont need a dual core yet.

I personally am going to buy a 651 right now to replace my Intel 530, now the reason I'm not going for a dual core is because I am waiting for Intels next offering Conroe (which is also a dual core) towards the end of the year, so upgrading to a dual core just isnt cost effective right now.

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
thx for the info, i myselfe also dont think dual cores are so great( i mean they are but i just do not do all these things at nce;)) , and maby if i would find a dualcore which would be quite close pricewise, and powerwise (both speed, and consumption;)...althou im shoor its not possible Watage wise;)...atleast maby not for now) but being a pentium4 1.7 user right now i think i would be still hapy with a p4 3.2 (with HT) ....to be honest i cant cmplain about the pc i have now, its to be honest very stable, for the things iv done with itl;) (lol and i was complaining about Sony vaios;)...thats what it was originally;)) , and i think if i would go dualcore i would have to replace my psu which to be honest i do not want to do ..just yet, (it is stable, and works great:)

btw do dual cores use as much Watagewise power as 2 singlecores? just curious if i would want to aproximetly calculate the power consumption.

btw im planning to buy the cpu and other parts probably during summer, does anyone know if the prices will go down till then? and just out of curiosity what is the best time of the year to get hardware(pricewise)...except black friday;)...i ment monthwise;)

thx