Intel Pentium 4 issues!!!

scotthoffman871

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
I recently came across an Intel pentium 4 3.0GHZ Processor w/ HT technology. When I install it in my computer, The machine recognized it as a 3 GHZ processor but shows it running at 1.5 GHZ. I downloaded SPEEDFAN to see what my temps were running and it showed CPU0 and CPU1 and listed them as two CPU's. Can some one clear up the confusion by telling me how a single core processor is listed as two and why doesn't my processor run at the 3GHZ speed and only runs at half that...???

Solution
yes, i'm pretty sure it's just because your CPU is in idle mode. install this: http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/1.61-setup-en.exe

and this : http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/download.php?fh=84aa92208050bf61b75f20c454fd87a7

open CPU-z and prime 95. check out the speeds at the bottom left of CPU-z. if it says 3000MHz, then the other program was just giving false readings. if it still says anything below 3GHz, open prime 95 and click "just stress testing" and then choose the 1st test. go back to CPU-z and check the speeds. it should be rated at 3000MHz. if it's not, then you might just have a faulty reading by your motherboard. if you can overclock on it, try raising the bus speed to 200MHz. (i'm pretty sure that is the correct...

williamleja

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008

Dude! Calm down! Quit posting the same thing over and over again. Jitpublisher offered two reasonable explanations on what is happening. Post your motherboard manufacturer and model and post your CPU temperatures.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Intel Speedstep, power saving. It downclocks the processor when it's not being stressed.

HT means Hyperthreading, it makes One core display as two within windows. Makes threaded applications load the single core better.

D

Deleted member 217926

124 degrees!? I had the same chip. It idled at ~35C. Even if those temps are in Fahrenheit that would be a ~50C idle and too high. Reinstall the heatsink making sure you clean off all the old thermal paste before applying new paste.

If those temps are in Celsius do not run the computer again before doing the reinstall or you risk destroying the chip.

scotthoffman871

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
Those readings are in Fahrenheit. If in celsius, it would be about 48 to 50C. The computer runs top notch except for the fact that the fan comes on (or speeds up) every 25 minutes. I thought this was/is normal. all the reviews I have read on this topic and temp readings for this particular chip says that its is good. not great but good. I am running 3 fans. 120mm in the front pulling cool air into the case, one on the CPU pushing cool air onto the processor and a 60mm fan pulling hot air out the back of the case. I have a Cooler Master Elite 311 custom case. The mobo has a DTS under the CPU that throttles up the fan when temps get too high and throttles it down when CPU is not stressed.

scotthoffman871

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012

Yes. that is the exact board that I have. So what you are saying is that the two pieces are not compatible with each other? If so, I do have a Celeron D 2.953GHZ processor that I can install.

D

Deleted member 217926

I can't say for sure the board and processor are not compatible. The thing is when HP puts out a computer line they do it as cheap as they can. This includes seriously limiting the BIOS and as such support for things like different CPUs. It would explain why your CPU is reporting the wrong speed.

As bad as that P4 is the Celeron is about twice as bad. It may work as a very low end internet browsing machine. Truely a modern 1Ghz Intel Atom netbook processor is just as fast as that P4.

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Actually 50c idle temps are not unusual with the prescott pentium 4s. They ran hot and they were highly inefficient. I would be surprised if it ran lower than 50 c most of the times...

<-- has a Pentium 4 desktop that i just replaced last month with a sandy bridge pentium setup

D

Deleted member 217926

^ Yeah I saw the 975 chipset and thought LGA 775 and that it was probably a Pentium 4 530 or 630. I had a 530 and with the 90nm die shrink it ran much cooler than the older 130nm Socket 478 Pentium 4 chips did.

1depp1

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012

ahhh... the old days when i was using your edition of p4 to play diablo 1 and 2...haha

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
yes, i'm pretty sure it's just because your CPU is in idle mode. install this: http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/1.61-setup-en.exe

and this : http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/download.php?fh=84aa92208050bf61b75f20c454fd87a7

open CPU-z and prime 95. check out the speeds at the bottom left of CPU-z. if it says 3000MHz, then the other program was just giving false readings. if it still says anything below 3GHz, open prime 95 and click "just stress testing" and then choose the 1st test. go back to CPU-z and check the speeds. it should be rated at 3000MHz. if it's not, then you might just have a faulty reading by your motherboard. if you can overclock on it, try raising the bus speed to 200MHz. (i'm pretty sure that is the correct speed for those P4s, correct me if i'm wrong) this is not your front side bus speed. as you said it is 800MHz.

EDIT!!!: this is an ancient 478 socket mobo, right? :pfff: here is your problem: your motherboard only supports 400/533MHz FSB speeds! it's a miracle your BIOS recognizes the chip at all. do you know the specific model of your CPU? it should say in CPU-Z right on the top.

Solution

scotthoffman871

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
***UPDATE***

I found the problem. The CPU was bad. My mobo supports HT technoogy but the CPU was only running at half speed cause it was going bad. I put another CPU in the socket, enabled HT and computer picked up and ran like a new one (figuratively speaking). Running 2 virtual cores at 1.3 GHZ and my FSB is at 200mhz. Overclocking and temps un at about 39c to 44c (the 44c was on a load). Thanks for all the input and help. It helped me to single out an otherwise devastating problem and get it fixed before it costed me more than I wanted to pay.