Intel Pentium D worth anything?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

urbanium

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Hi,

A friend asked me to help him buy & install a new graphic card for his rig. However, after looking at the specs of the computer as a whole, I'm starting to wonder if it's even worth upgrading anything in there.

Mostly, my doubts come from his CPU which is a Intel Pentium D 820.

The mobo is a Asus with 775 socket and integrated graphic card (ASUS P5KPL-AM IN/ROEM/SI) which he planned to disable in favor of a standalone one. There was also plans to buy more RAM.

So, should he keep his money to buy a new CPU+gfx card+RAM (and possibly mobo) or is the Pentium D 820 good enough to keep up with a decent graphic card?

Cheers.

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
Glad we could help. I still would like to insist on the RAM, with 1 Gb he will not be able to do lots of stuff. I use 2Gb now and with a 5770 and a core 2 duo at 3.4 the games still work rather well. I did not get the chance to upgrade to 4Gb because of the price of DDR2 RAM compared to DDR3 RAM.

If he does not want to spend all 250$ on parts at list buy him another 1Gb of RAM. You will see the difference right away.

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
I would not advise anyone to run that windows. The difference fro xp to w7 is big, better interface, 10 times more stable, less viruses and fewer problems. For another 300mb of ram used it is worth it.

If he has xp and has the option to go for windows7 then he should do it.

popatim

Titan
C2D - E5700 - $80 & free shipping from Newegg.
Kingston 2gb memory kit. 2x1gb ddr2@1066. - $46 & free shipping.
evga gts 450 (non-superclocked) 1Gb - $120 ($90 after rebate) & free shipping. - plz make sure you have 22a on the 12v rail.

you shouldn't need a PSU upgrade with the gts450 unless your current unit is crappy/poor quality.

I use Win7 Ult and Prem editions on most of my computers.
With that said Please Lets Not Go Hating On XP
Definitely the most proven,longing lasting, most successful Windows/OSes of all time.
I run an older P4 tower for my fiance with XP with very few hiccups; besides browsing and streaming media it also functions as a 24/7 video stream surveillance system.
I rarely have to mess with it besides maintenance
I have fallen in love with Win7 (Vista Yuck!) but I still respect WinXP.
Dont forget my Ubuntu 10.10 box either:)

hitec16

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
considering he has pentium D he shud use win XP as gaming is his first concern. Pentium D will bottle neck his GPU anyway so CPU usage for xp is less ;)
i hav both xp n 7 in my pc and i get better FPS on XP then win7.