Intel Pentium found a 3.06 Ghz

phillippcmr

Prominent
Dec 8, 2017
I took apart my father's old ACER from the year 2011/2012 and was surprised to find this CPU, I am fully aware this is a CPU many budget gamers try first.

Looking for a proper setup (motherboard, RAM, PSU).
I don't want to encounter any incompatibility issues.

I'm more than likely going to add a MSI AMD R7 250 2GB because I know it won't bottleneck it and it'd be a budget PC.

Solution
I don't think you'd be able to build any kind of PC for modern games with a Core 2 Duo E6600. Most games run very badly on dual core processors. Assuming the motherboard permits you'd have to upgrade the CPU to a Core 2 Quad to really play anything modern. That processor is a few notches below low end gaming rig material. An entry level Ryzen 2200g is 350% faster and the integrated GPU would also be dramatically faster than a R7 250 card.

InvalidError

Titan
What is the actual budget for your 'budget' PC? For ~$250, it would make more sense to go with a Ryzen 2200G, a b450 motherboard when those become available in a few weeks and 8GB of DDR4.

A Sandy/Ivy-Bridge era Pentium isn't going to do you much good in modern software and semi-recent games.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
There are different CPUs named Pentium going back over 20 years. Can't tell you which mobo to get if you don't know which exact Pentium model it is.

What are you wanting to use this PC for? If the Pentium is that old, it's too weak to play any modern games and would be outperformed by any modern CPU.

phillippcmr

Prominent
Dec 8, 2017

INTEL '06 E6600
INTEL PENTIUM
SLGUG MALAY
3.06GHZ/2M/1 066/06
Q01 1C288
Wanting to build a low end gaming rig (ROUGHLY 720P)

jr9

Estimable
I don't think you'd be able to build any kind of PC for modern games with a Core 2 Duo E6600. Most games run very badly on dual core processors. Assuming the motherboard permits you'd have to upgrade the CPU to a Core 2 Quad to really play anything modern. That processor is a few notches below low end gaming rig material. An entry level Ryzen 2200g is 350% faster and the integrated GPU would also be dramatically faster than a R7 250 card.

Solution

phillippcmr

Prominent
Dec 8, 2017

That's the plan, I'm not wantng nor do I plan to build a rig for current games. This would be a entry rig for my father, he usually sticks to one game for a few years. If he likes this build then I would then consider building a legit gaming rig so this would be liek a trial/error if he'd play current titles.

InvalidError

Titan

OP already has the E6600, needs everything else.

Spending $200+ on desperately wanting to give a a Pentium E6600 a second life ($50 MoBo + $50 RAM + $100 GPU) is deep in "not worth bothering" territory IMO when you can build a much faster Ryzen 2200G + MoBo + 8GB DDR4 for ~$250.