Intel Pentium G3258 safe gaming tempatures? No OC.

Veriac

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015
Hi! My Pentium is getting some ridiculously high temperatures when I'm playing H1Z1 or some other games. The games are running fine and there isn't anything wrong but it gets up to 75 C ~ 82 C. I don't know if my heatsink isn't on there properly or if there is something wrong with the CPU itself. It's the summer time as well, so in Cali it gets to about 100 each day. My computer is in a pretty small Fractal Design 3000 case. The CPU idles around 45 C when I'm not doing anything. I'm thinking it's the heat in my room and how crammed the case is but how safe is this? I have the stock fan as well. Any help would be appreciated!

Veriac

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015

Would you say I need a new cooler pretty quickly? I don't want to damage this CPU but I can't afford much right now.

LookItsRain

Distinguished

The temps wont hurt the cpu, the h7 is only 35 dollars and will drop the temps considerably.

Veriac

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015

Thank you!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The cheapest (free) way to lower temps is lower your vcore voltage. Stock voltages are notoriously high on Intel cpu's, so if your bios will allow (should) moving vcore down will help. This should be done in small increments and test for stability after each move. Do this until you bluescreen , then turn back up 1 drop. Just by lowering voltage from 1.232v to 1.14v dropped full load temps from 80+ to 67 and idle temps from 43 to 34 on my i5 (btw, that whole process is part of overclocking and current vcore is set to 1.19v from auto) I'd start with vcore @ 1.25 and work down from there. Use cpu-Z (free) . If you could get down to 1.08v that'd be great.

Veriac

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015

I'm actually already at 1 V, I thought it was that but I set the defaults in the bios and it's been 1 for awhile now.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ooo that's low, nice.

What's needed to be understood is that stock coolers are designed to keep temps in a normal range, under normal usage. That's going to be most applications. Some games are very cpu intensive, and some optimized for multi core usage more so, especially if they are looking for 3-4 cores and having to deal with 2.

Start task manager and put it on the graphs, leaving it run. Then run your game as you usually do. After a few minutes of hard going, go back to task manager. The graphs should be showing your cpu usage in the high 90's Mebe even up to 100%.

Bevause of the dual cores, relatively low stock speeds and high cpu usage, you are going to see high temps. It's unavoidable. There is a cure though. Better cpu cooling will bring down temps, some. But you'll still have high cpu usage as the slower clock speed means the queue is backing up. It would be easier on the cpu, better for fps, smoother all around if not only did you apply a better cooler, but OC that cpu. Getting the speeds up to at least 4.0GHz will make a big difference.

Veriac

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015

I was actually at 4 GHz and the temps were around 5-10 C higher underload. This was with H1Z1, which is pretty open world and I believe it relies on the CPU a lot. I could OC it again but the temps might go up even more playing it, but I don't know about normal usage or even smaller games. The usage is usually in the high 90's.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, that's the problem with the dual core g3258, for single thread games which need only 1-2 cores, for the price, its damned near unbeatable, with easy OC of 4.5 or better, with good cooling, you are looking at 1/2 the price or lower of a quad core system. But thats where some of the issues start. Many games, especially mmorpg's or other multi-player games rely heavily on quad core processor power. In those games, the g3258 isn't in the back seat a such as it's in the trunk. High OC can go a long way to make up for this discrepancy, but that only occurs under 1 situation. Good cooling.

Since the g3258 is only 54w, it'll not need a massive cooler to do the job. A hyper212 EVO is a 180w cooler, and the $35 cryorig H7 closer to 200w. That's much more than what you need, but at the same time Over-cooling is a good thing. It means that whatever punishment the cpu can dish out heat wise will never be enough to drive the cooler to its max. So slower fan speeds, less noise, plenty of cooling capacity, all from a budget cooler.

Raijintek Ereboss or Aidos or Themis, Enermax T40, CM Hyper212 EVO / plus, Cryorig H7 are all in that same performance /price range. You'll just need to figure out case clearance as some of those coolers are 160mm tall and don't fit in some cases. The Aidos and H7 will fit all but the slimline, being only 145mm tall.

Montblanchill

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014
I have personally recently installed an Evo 212 in place of a stock cooler and the difference is incredible. I am now at 30 degrees at idle, 45 - 50 during long gaming sessions. The cooler cost me £29 from Amazon.

Stock coolers also tend to have a weaker connection to the CPU due to the manufacturing process. I would recommend grabbing an Evo or equivalent, run a quick prime 95 after installation (wait about an hour for bedding in etc), then never worrying about CPU temps again.