Intel Pentium G3420 vs AMD Phenom II 955

Solution

Hi Rationale. I have a AMD Phenom II 955 black edition. The CPU itself is very good for your average gaming coupled with R9 270 I have. I am able to run all games on max settings getting a decent fps between 50-60.

Far Cry 3 I get ~50 FPS on max settings. If I overclock the...

Ehm... anything more specific? The Intel Pentium line of processors had different releases from 1993 all the way through 2013.

G

Multithreaded workload -> Ph2 955
Single/lightly threaded workload -> Pentium

Is this about games or rendering or what. Specific games?

It's just for general use and games.
Dark Souls, Dishonored, and Far Cry 3 are most important.

Dark Souls is tri-core optimized, so I don't anticipate much of a difference. Dishonored will run on ultra settings on a potato, so I don't expect trouble there. Far Cry 3 may lose performance, as it's quad-core optimized.

meat_loaf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011

Hi Rationale. I have a AMD Phenom II 955 black edition. The CPU itself is very good for your average gaming coupled with R9 270 I have. I am able to run all games on max settings getting a decent fps between 50-60.

Far Cry 3 I get ~50 FPS on max settings. If I overclock the CPU and GPU i get around 55-60 (depending on the scenery).

Solution

Vilsorgoth

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
I have a DualCore Intel Pentium G3420, 3200 MHz and Nvidia GTX 660 ti in my current setup. I play World of Warcraft on High settings with 50+ FPS while questing and ~30 FPS while in a major city on a full server. It is cool until I have too many programs open in the background running while I am raiding. That is when the processor will show its limitations and start to lock up or freeze up randomly (like an old laptop) :(

DJLolly

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
For just general use and games, I would say the Pentium. For general use you wont need the full processing power, as long as your not one of the people who opens things and just minimises them when he's done with it. Sure you can't overclock it as much. but in my experience Intel are generally faster than AMD. Personally, the only reason I think for buying an AMD is for the APU's (which aren't good at processing, but better than Intel for built-in graphics), and the much cheaper flagship models. You'll save money on electricity with the Intel, and with the Phenom being made in 2009, I can't see you being able to buy them new. As for gaming, you might bottleneck the GPU a bit with the Pentium, but you might also still get playable framerates.
Hope this helps.