Intel Pentium G4620 And G4560 Review: Now With Hyper-Threading

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heffeque

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2002

I'm personally waiting for Bristol Ridge too, but to update my slooow AMD E-450 (I need a ultra-low consuming PC). Hopefully Bristol Ridge will have all categories of APUs and not only medium and high consumption APUs.

alextheblue

Distinguished

I hope you realize that 870K/880K (Godavari) use soldered heatspreaders, unlike their older brethren (860K et al). So... yeah. The newer ones overclock substantially better.

alextheblue

Distinguished

Bristol Ridge has been out for some time. You can get them in OEM boxes. They do have lower-power 35W variants, (including quad core A10/A12 models) but that's as low as they go in socketed form. You *might* be able to find a "desktop" system using FP4 Bristol Ridge or Stoney Ridge, but all I can recall seeing is older FT3b slim systems with Carrizo-L.

Although even Carrizo-L would already be a massive step up from your E-450. Something like a A8-7410 based system... you'd be going from old Bobcat cores to Puma+, with higher clocks, turbo, and twice the cores. Plus better graphics (though still pretty low-end) and support for faster memory (vital with only a single channel).

You would do this if you had plans for a stronger CPU later, and wanted a better board waiting for it. You could even use a Z270. The goal would be to stand up a system as quickly as possible, but leave room for a substantial upgrade.

Yes im well aware of that... I've thought about delidding my apu a number of times because of that reason.

Although you do know that even with the better (potential) overclocking, your still using the steamroller cores just like kaveri. So IPC is still the same... And i've been reaching 4.3 GHz on my apu.... most people on the Athlon x 870/880k (And A10-7870/7890k apus) that will overclock these apu/cpu high will be around the 4.7 GHz on average if they can keep it stable. (The average person will typically overclock around 4.5 Ghz to keep temps on the cool side),

So.... even with this boosted overclocking to 4.7 GHz... You "might" match the newer Pentium's in most task.

Dont get me wrong, these FM2(+) cpu's/apu's are nice for what they do (i wouldn't have one if that was the case) but it's not like an extra 300 to 400 MHz is going to change the results that much from the athlon they used in the review.

darth_adversor

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
Forgive my ignorance, but it sounds like if you're looking for native 10-bit HEVC support, you have to go with the more expensive Pentium? Because of HD graphics 630? If so, that's disappointing.

MrMeerkat

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017
@PADEEP
Emmmm wut? RX470 can't max out games at 1080p? You havin a laugh?
I mean it now more or less matches a 970 if not beating it slightly so...what you're saying is the 970, 980, 1060 and RX480 are all not capable of playing games at 1080p ultra with decent frame rates...right...
Okay, you're kinda right maybe as the 1060 3GB isn't really suited for 1080p ultra as 4GB really is the minimum for 1080p now :p

pN-BOOGIEMAN

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
why did you use RX 470 for gaming tests? It's meaningless. The only difference between this two processors is in their integrated intel HD 610 vs HD 630 graphics. I need to know if it's worth extra $30. Would HD 630 outperform my 8 year old radeon 3850 (256-Bit/ 256mb gddr3) and AMD a8-7600 integrated R7 graphics?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
@ceh4702 unless you're running programs that can take advantage of AVX instructions (pretty rare for games), your 6100 is only 6% faster than the G4560, and no faster than the G4620. Not what I'd call " a lot better".

heffeque

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2002

I meant Raven Ridge (obviously) since nor Bristol Ridge nor Carrizo have Zen cores.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
"There's little reason to pair a Pentium with a Z270-based motherboard, ..."
... other than paving the way for an upgrade to an i7-7700K or so when the money is available.
Also for gaining access to other features not available with the cheaper chipsets, if needed.

"Cons
• Lower performance than Core i3/i5"

Given the differences in price I'd make another interpretation of these findings:
"Pros
• Only slightly lower performance than Core i3/i5"

May 22, 2014
as someone pointed out that the comparison should have been made with a i3-6100 or rather my suggestion would be a i3-7100 (as its current n more easily available).. these i3's are the next step upwards from a pentium and would provide a better picture of the performance gap.. similarly just the minimum i5-7400 should have been included in the comparison..
comparisons among the i3s and i5s are easily available otherwise, so why include so many in the benchmarks

agello24

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
this goes to show how hard intel pushes out their developers kits. they need to start pushing these companies on how to use more than just one core from a chip. its pointless to have a multicore chip when the program only uses 1 or 2. glad ryzen has come on the scene. most of these games where not written with the ryzen devel kit and the chip still outperforms the intels.

Status
Not open for further replies.