[SOLVED] Intel Pentium Pro 200mhz gaming?

Mar 20, 2020
So this thread might be for those who know more about retro computers. I was wondering what type of games I would be able to run on a Pentium Pro 200mhz? Of course I'm looking to play retro games but I was wondering what games from the early 2000s could play on this processer if any exist.

Solution
You would be able to play dos and windows 3.1 games as well as windows 95. The pentium pro was about the time of windows NT, so the max it could run efficiently was windows 2000, but that was with 128mb of ram.
D

Deleted member 14196

That was my very first PC purchase from Dell back in the day. The whole system was around $3000 LOL now my phone blows that piece of turd out of the water at a far smaller price

You’ll probably want to run windows 95 SE

Mar 20, 2020
You would be able to play dos and windows 3.1 games as well as windows 95. The pentium pro was about the time of windows NT, so the max it could run efficiently was windows 2000, but that was with 128mb of ram.

Thank you. Yeah the computer I have has exactly 128 mb of ram so i should be able to run windows 2000? And what graphics card would you recommend for this system?

Thank you. Yeah the computer I have has exactly 128 mb of ram so i should be able to run windows 2000? And what graphics card would you recommend for this system?
You should be able to. I'm not sure how fast it will run though. I haven't tried 2000 on any of my pentium pros yet.

As far as graphics card--it really depends on what you need it for. I would buy a card that will work with what you want it to do. Because as long as you have drivers, you can pretty much run any card that fits in a pci slot. :)

Reactions: Gujhbhh
Mar 20, 2020
That was my very first PC purchase from Dell back in the day. The whole system was around $3000 LOL now my phone blows that piece of turd out of the water at a far smaller price

You’ll probably want to run windows 95 SE
Lol I'm 18 so this computer is ancient to me. Ijust found a 2 foot tower for free with one of these inside. Good thing I saved it because people usually like to get the gold out of these old Pentium Pros. Hopefully I can restore it because these are super dusty. And very old too.

Mar 20, 2020
You should be able to. I'm not sure how fast it will run though. I haven't tried 2000 on any of my pentium pros yet.

As far as graphics card--it really depends on what you need it for. I would buy a card that will work with what you want it to do. Because as long as you have drivers, you can pretty much run any card that fits in a pci slot. :)
I think I'll play it safe with Windows 98. Thanks!

Lol I'm 18 so this computer is ancient to me. Ijust found a 2 foot tower for free with one of these inside. Good thing I saved it because people usually like to get the gold out of these old Pentium Pros. Hopefully I can restore it because these are super dusty. And very old too.
Very cool! If you have the patience to restore this machine, you will never have a problem with any build the rest of your life.

Computers were very particular back in these days--plug and play didn't always work and there weren't many 'automatic' things that happened such as loading an operating system or adding drives. You'll need to do a lot of reading and research and hopefully you can find some manuals as they were really detailed well-written back then.

Mar 20, 2020
You should be in good shape with 98se. You're just going to have to have a boot disk (3.5" media) to be able to load the OS unless you can partition and format the drive elsewhere and then move it to the system. Or if you're lucky, you may have a bootable cd rom.
I just realized do you think that the software is already installed? The tower itself doesn't have a name and it was complete. All the parts date from 96 so my assumption is that it's either running on windows 95 or if the computer was used long enough the person who had it before installed Windows 98. I'm not sure though since I'm near clueless to these older PC's. And yeah I'm gonna have to do a lot of research too lol

I just realized do you think that the software is already installed? The tower itself doesn't have a name and it was complete. All the parts date from 96 so my assumption is that it's either running on windows 95 or if the computer was used long enough the person who had it before installed Windows 98. I'm not sure though since I'm near clueless to these older PC's. And yeah I'm gonna have to do a lot of research too lol
There may be something on it, and there's a good chance that if it's there you can easily use it since many of the drivers probably won't be online. But you better make a backup of the whole thing as the drive is older too and could fail leaving you with a bigger restore project than you already have.

Reactions: Gujhbhh
Mar 20, 2020
There may be something on it, and there's a good chance that if it's there you can easily use it since many of the drivers probably won't be online. But you better make a backup of the whole thing as the drive is older too and could fail leaving you with a bigger restore project than you already have.

I'm in the plug and play configuration and there's a thing that says "Boot with PnP OS". The options I have are None, Other, and Windows 95 TM. Does that mean there's software on this computer or is it just reading the software it had before?