intel pIII 1000 (fsb100)

G

is it possible to use an intel PIII 1000(fsb100/x10) with an 440bx chipset (asus P3BF board)

bighead111

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Hi Risc,

I posted a message similar as yours days ago, and I got a negative answer. I checked the ASUS site and can see the lates the BIOS support the clock ratio higher than 8.5x, so it maybe support 10x, but I am not sure P3 Katmai has 1000mhz version and I haven't seen any Coppermine has 1000Mhz E 100mhz FPS version neither, so I guess the answer to you is also negative. Here are some info on the ASUS site might help you as well.

http://www.asus.com.tw/products/techref/cpu/coppermine/index.html

G

There is NO DOUBT that the P3B-F WILL support the P111 1000E. If not today, then soon, through a microcode update in a new BIOS release.

The PIII E "coppermine" series is a BX-oriented chip series. All PIIIE series chips are made to be compatible with BX.. given the proper BIOS microcode update.

Remember.. Intel also makes the chipset. Any PIII chip that they make which expects 100 system clock is AIMED DIRECTLY at BX. The other chipsets 810, 820, 840 (and the latecomer..Solano 815) support 133FSB. If BX couldn't handle the 10 multiplier, Intel would not make the 1000 MHz coppermine.

My guess is that the latest BIOS offered on ASUS downloads will support a full 10x100 post. It may require some 'external' mutiplier dipswitch testing.. one of the settings (or all) will work. Alternatively, the jumperless operation mode might be the way to do it.

Can anyone offer an explanation as to why Intel would offer the PIII 1000E other than for BX ?

G

Just to reassure you that this is TRUE.. There are two people using PIII 1000 chips in P3B-F and reporting overclocked posts on overclockers.com

One of them is obviously using the EB chip.. because he can't go faster than 7.5x150FSB = 1125 MHz. This is irrevlevant to your question.

But the other guy is using the 110MHz/36.7 (FSB/PCI) setting to post 10x110= 1.1GHz. That would, of course, only be possible using the PIII 1000E (100MHz) coppermine.

This is REAL, or my name isn't Clonan the Cyberian...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
YOur motherboard should support the 1000E if BIOS is set to autodetect the multiplier. The 1000E is availble on Pricewatch for around $100 more than the EB-it is a special chip.

Suicide is painless...........

G

My Son has a slot1 100fsb P3 1 GHz, in a BX board (ABit BF6). He does not have any BIOS upgrade to support it. Thus when he OC's it, BIOS shows Pentium 3 :32. So what? It does detect that it is a 100 MHZ chip, It does know that it requires 1.65/1.70 core voltage. The AGP and PCI are set accordingly.

When he gets into windows, it and Norton show it as 1GHz. Remember the multiplier is locked on the CPU and cannot be changed by BIOS anyway.

My P3 800, 100fsb is also unsuppoerted on my BX6 board and runs great at 1.03 GHz.

"I THINK I USED TO KNOW THAT"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Go to www.pricewatch.com type "Intel and 1GHz and 100MHz not 133" in the search box, and you will get mostly PIII 1000E (100MHz FSB) processors, they are only costing about $40 more than the EB right now.

Suicide is painless...........

G

Need a vendor ? Sharkyextreme always posts vendors AND prices.

also look at pcprogress.com or upgrade planet.com
800 numbers will bring you free availability and prices

lots of other vendors out there.. use your search engines
Clonan the Cyberian