Intel Planning "Overclock" Feature for SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone would do this that has any data they care about. Personally, I would tinker with it because all I use my computer for is gaming so if a drive dies all I really lose is the time to reinstall.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
hmmm... This makes very little sense. Unless you are on the latest generation interface with last generation drive otherwise the bandwidth of the interface is already pretty maxed out as it stands with SSD's anyways. Now let me run my HDD's at 10k RPM (or higher) from a 7k drive.

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
This is strange at best. Anyone who has used a SSD knows you won't be able to tell the difference between a stock SSD and that stock SSD with the cache ramped up 5%. This overclock could even deal with provisioning and not be a true clock increase at all.

At this point overclocking in general doesn't seem to mix well with SSD. Even an unstable system overclock can render a SSD useless. When I updated to Z87 and was testing my overclock I came to what I thought was a stable balance. A few days later I got a 124 bsod and my 840 Pro was dead. Now adding overclock to the SSD itself? Yuck.

johnb0118

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
"*Intel does not support overclocking of any device including Sold-State Drives. The user will utilize this feature at his/her own risk. Warranty void if the overclocking feature has been enabled."

People could just have backups in place.

Still, the performance probably isn't going to be noticeably better, it's just higher benchmark scores.

Generally yes, but many SSD controllers use embedded RISC based microprocessors that can be overclocked in the most conventional sense.

SSDs are benchmarked by I/O operations. I/O operations are performed by an embedded RISC based microprocessor. Overclock the microprocessor, and it will increase the number of I/O operations that it can perform.

michalt

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
Sounds like its more of a server play; if your application is disk bound, and you increase disk performance by 10% by mucking with compression/other parameters, then you need 10% less servers. Consumers won't notice incremental speed changes on their computers.

G

People miss the point. It is great for video editing. Temporary files that can be FAST overclocked. And another HD or SSD not overclocked to save.

Status
Not open for further replies.