News Intel Plans to Add Overclocking Capabilities to Its Arc GPU Drivers

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
After Ol' Man-Boobs Torvalds' constant ranting and railing against Intel, I hope the company shuts off all efforts at propping up his garbageware operating system and lets it fall into a convoluted buggy heap.

After Ol' Man-Boobs Torvalds' constant ranting and railing against Intel, I hope the company shuts off all efforts at propping up his garbageware operating system and lets it fall into a convoluted buggy heap.

If Intel dropped support for Linux they would not be able to use their own processors for most of their workloads. Now that would be an interesting development.

Reactions: Krotow
He rails against Nvidia, not Intel. And if his OS kernel goes down, so do everything else : Linux is everywhere nowadays, you just don't see it.

Reactions: Krotow

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
He rails against Nvidia, not Intel. And if his OS kernel goes down, so do everything else : Linux is everywhere nowadays, you just don't see it.
I agree, servers and pretty much every other mission critical devices use Linux as their main operating system. Even astronauts in the ISS switched to Linux a few years back as the main operating system for their laptops.

Thing is I doubt if the overclocking feature will come to Linux. Intel is known for their partnership with Microsoft, and the Thread director for Alder Lake CPUs is only available in Windows 11. Support isn't even coming for 10, let alone Linux (it may change though, who knows?)

I agree, servers and pretty much every other mission critical devices use Linux as their main operating system. Even astronauts in the ISS switched to Linux a few years back as the main operating system for their laptops.

No doubts after ISS computers got infected by computer virus near decade ago. Even Microsoft servers use Linux as base OS now.

Thing is I doubt if the overclocking feature will come to Linux. Intel is known for their partnership with Microsoft, and the Thread director for Alder Lake CPUs is only available in Windows 11. Support isn't even coming for 10, let alone Linux (it may change though, who knows?)

All general features in Linux works. Bells and whistles like overclocking control from sleazy GUI though - not. But you still can do overclocking from Linux console. Not convenient - yes. However it deter people who without knowledge want to overclock their hardware to 9000% of it capabilities and then lament in this forum about faults caused by their own stupidity.

Reactions: Howardohyea
lol what a title! I've seen lots of companies new line product launchs over the years, but knowing this cards are going to get overclocking capabilities really made my day.
Meh, intel (e)xtreme tuning utility had iGPU overclocking, at least back on haswell where the iGPUs supportet it.
Putting it right into the driver GUI just makes it easier for users to find it.