Intel Posts Another Record Quarter, 14nm Shortage To Worsen In Q4

Tanyac

Reputable
From an investor point of view this is probably good news.
From a consumer point of view these people should be lined up and shot.
The blatant exploitation of consumers is appalling. If it weren't for the fact that AMD motherboards weren't so damned expensive I'd jump ship. No negligible performance margins are worth this rubbish.
And we've also got to deal with a predictable and correctable shortages - alogn with RAM, Flash, (and in our case graphics cards), whose prices are still on the rise....

This seems a concerted effort by manufacturers to kill the computing industry completely.

Sep 20, 2018
This is quite sad tbh, how can we expect AMD to complete when they make 1.5 billion a quarter next to Intels 19.....and there is also nVidia who also makes more money that AMD....

tikal

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
AMD offers great value. Still, there are too many ignoramuses out there that rather overpay for INTEL CPU.

fredfinks

Honorable

AMD was nearly dead a few years ago. Different ballpark.

Competition is good but based on what i saw while working at major retailer, regarding quantity of RMAs, led me to build a particular disdain for that brand.

Get the product that suits your needs. If on par, id pay extra for intel. no hesitation. ive seen what the return box is full of and its not coloured blue.
Like early SSD days, you had your supertalents and OCZs but there was one that you could trust.

Theyre doing better than Cyrix so credit where credits due.

Co BIY

Splendid

This sounds like a problem I'm having locally: "My favorite restaurant is sure to fail, I don't even go there anymore because they have raised prices and the wait for service is terrible with the line of customers always going out the door."

Oct 26, 2018
@TANYAC AMD motherboard expensive? AMD motherboards cost slightly less than their comparable Intel counterpart.

johnrob

Honorable
Nov 22, 2014
I was planning to build a new computer in march but I think intel prices are already bloated and now they are expected to go up?

All i wanted was 144+ fps on a 2k display for less than $2,000. Oh well it's been fun to dream.

Fredfinks, I'm indeed interested in what was in the "return box," but also, and a lot more importantly, why it was there. In all my years in IT, I've read from time to time about processor bugs (typically Intel!), but not dead CPUs or dead chipsets. Motherboards, yes; I've personally had some die on me (mostly S775 Biostar and Gigabyte), or read of horrendous problems (mostly AM3 MSI), but not dead CPUs themselves.
Also, and I believe this is a big deal, companies trying to make the cheapest junk possible typically use AMD because it costs less, and low-end junk is junk, no matter who makes it; that's not the fault of AMD either; there are plenty of high-end AMD systems still out there. I could not claim to be suffering if I were still running my Asus 990FX Sabertooth, no matter how many cheap MSI G43 and G46 boards fill the dumpsters (and catch fire). So, I'm willing to bet the return box was indeed full of AMD-based systems, as various other cheap parts croaked (e.g. insufficient VRMs, overrated PSU-shaped objects), performance was dismally unacceptable (e.g. 5400RPM hard drives, IGP graphics), or other inadequacies reared their ugly heads (e.g. not enough RAM, undersized PSUs when trying to upgrade graphics).

You are obviously working in retail with OEM systems like ACER, Lenovo and HP which choose the most abysmal junk for their system wearing the AMD logo.

I am a DIY builder and all my AMD/ATI product were faring a lot better than my Intel/Nvidia builds.

My BFG 8800 GTX died within a year, my Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 died 3 times in 18 months, my EVGA 1080 FTW died twice in a year...

My only problem with AMD/ATI was when Asus was involved.

Not to say that my mini-ITX 4770k build with a dGPU was running like garbage in comparison to my 2400G with my MSI B450i which use the iGPU.

I had the total opposite experience from you and I have been building PC for 20 years.

NAND flash is actually on the decline, expected to drop by 50% in 2019. RAM though is being price fixed by the major players.

I highly doubt it. The worst Intel ever did they still made a ton of money.

Or it could be marketing. People forget that this doesn't include just us enthusiasts who know where a better value may be. This includes everything. In the general consumer market, Intel has vastly better brand recognition than AMD does. Always has. I can talk to anyone who is an average person and they almost all know who Intel is. Much like they all know Dell, HP etc but very few know who Asus is even though Asus tends to make better desktops than either.

We know there may be a better value in AMD but we are a much smaller part of the market than the large OEMs. While there may be thousands of us there are millions of normal consumers who don't look into the CPU specs or what memory is being used or if the system even has a decent PSU.

Both are anecdotal.

I have only had one GPU fail on me (a very very very old nVidia about 16 years ago), never a CPU, no motherboards (all Asus) and never any RAM (all Corsair). That doesn’t mean squat in the overall though.

Although retail sales mean vastly more than enthusiast sales.

Again anecdotal.

Same as above, guess what never had an issue with Asus with AMD/ATI. Or anything Asus for that matter.

I highly doubt this. Even as an overall they have similar performance as Ryzen is pretty much on par or slightly better than Haswell. To make Haswell "Look like garbage" it would have to vastly outperform it which it does not.

Ahh so have I. I have had the experience that when built properly both sides tend to perform very well. In the end unless it’s just a bad uArch (Netburst, Bulldozer) the only thing that matters is the platform overall and the features you want.

People here forget brand name and Intel still has a pretty tight grip on the server market. It will change over slowly but AMD needs more than just a 2S platform if they want to really compete in the server and HPC market.

You never mentioned a game so i picked Battlefield 1.

According to

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-1-directx-12-benchmark,5017-5.html

You would need at least a Geforce 1070 so lets build a system!

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qsjnMZ
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qsjnMZ/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($158.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: *MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg Business)
Storage: *Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($86.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: *PNY - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB Video Card ($404.98 @ Newegg)
Case: *Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($51.15 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: *EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($65.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($98.99 @ B&H)
Total: $941.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-26 11:31 EDT-0400

That is the cheapest I could do but still using quality parts.

Switching to Intel's Core i7-8700 only adds about $150 which is still way below the $2000 budget.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011

Switch out the CPU for a 2600 and you have yourself a good build.
Also if you want to play those high refresh rates you want a GTX1080 at 1440p. I have ultrawide 1440p and my 1080 pumps out between 80-120 fps depending on the title and settings.
Obviously anything indie is just frame capped but AAA titles I tune to keep over 100 generally.
Edit: just noticed you picked a 1070ti so ignore my 1080 comment. Apples for Apples.

TRENDING THREADS