News Intel Posts Another Record Quarter and Year, Shortages to Recede in Second Half

You just have to wonder how much worse Intel should be doing so that there would be some decline in Profit... They Are still printing money !
OFC they are. They just COULD do way better. With how they handled last decade they could absolutely grab 90% of the 400 million devices to be sold this year, but they cannot handle the market, and they ride the fame they made, and this will stop some day.
"However, Dell and HP have recently lowered their forecasts due to Intel’s CPU supply shortages."
so market is loosing $ because intel cannot satisfy them, its double loss for them as
  1. $ is lost
  2. everyone searches for alternative as nobody want to just wait loosing $.
Which forces even most hardcore intel loving companies to look at alternatives.

You just have to wonder how much worse Intel should be doing so that there would be some decline in Profit... They Are still printing money !

And they will most likely continue to print money. Enthusiasts need to remember that we are a small market and AMD gaining market share here and in entry level servers/HPCs is not the big fish.

Intel is producing Tiger Lake on 10nm+ process, according to the cc. Leaked benchmarks show comparable single core performance to 3950x by a 28W Tiger Lake U. So, it looks like Intel has some nice gains in 10nm+. On density, they were already comparable to tsmc 7nm. These Tiger Lake chips ship to OEMs this summer, according to CES comments.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Quad-...X-in-Geekbench-single-core-test.451119.0.html

Not surprising as its using Willow Cove which is a cache redesign.

However I think Golden Cove would be the one to watch for as its supposed to be the performance jump.

Does anyone believe them anymore when they state a date for the shortages to be over?

I don't find it hard to believe considering they are going to be rolling out more 10nm based CPUs, server and mobile, and plan to have FAB 42 up and producing 7nm by next year. That should alleviate 14nm.

Then we also have Forevos based products which will be able to mix and match process tech as needed. Should make it so they are not relying on a single process tech for everything.

st379

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2013
How can it be when I see in amazon in many countries the ryzen sell so good?
Is it because of oem system, notebooks and servers?

Would really appriciate an answer.

How can it be when I see in amazon in many countries the ryzen sell so good?
Is it because of oem system, notebooks and servers?

Would really appriciate an answer.

Because the enthusiast DIY market is just a small sliver and a much lower margin market than markets like mobile, which AMD just released a competitive part but will meet resistance with Tiger Lake, and HPC. Intel has focus in a lot of markets AMD does not such as AI and FPGA.

You cannot use the enthusiast market as a benchmark for sales.

One aspect to also remember is brand recognition and trust. Intel markets way more than AMD, especially in the past few years, and outside of our world people do not know AMD as well as they do Intel. Most people couldn't case that they can get 16 cores in a desktop as a quad core will do them just fine. When they purchase a laptop they tend to focus on it being light, thin and have good battery life, not that it has 8 cores etc.

I have said it before and will say it again, we are but a sliver of the total PC market and what we buy is never indicative of the world at large.

Reactions: Soaptrail

st379

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2013
I saw it in amazon in lots of countries but i unsderstand the answer.
Btw I am not in the US and i think most of the people do know AMD even if they don't really check what they buy.
I also remember that i've read that intel has 85% of the market share in mobile.
I guess it's explain it and hopefully AMD will gain some marketshare in notebooks.
Competition lowering prices :) .

Thank you for your answer.

I saw it in amazon in lots of countries but i unsderstand the answer.
Btw I am not in the US and i think most of the people do know AMD even if they don't really check what they buy.
I also remember that i've read that intel has 85% of the market share in mobile.
I guess it's explain it and hopefully AMD will gain some marketshare in notebooks.
Competition lowering prices :) .

Thank you for your answer.

By people I mean common people. If you go to the mass majority of people and ask them about AMD or Intel more people will know Intel than AMD and if they know both more will know Intel better. I can remember a recent commercial with the Intel jingle. I can't remember a recent commercial with an AMD jingle.

If AMD continues on their current path and keeps making enough money they will gain market share. What effect it has on Intels bottom line when they are in markets with much greater margins than AMD is to be seen. I would bet AMD could get up to 50% of the desktop market and it wouldn't make that big of a dent. Hell Intel dropped HEDT prices in half to better compete and there is rumor there will be more price cuts from them.