Intel Promises Sub-10 Watt PC Operation with Ready Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman26

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
does this technology apply to downloading as well? because i want to have a desktop that is capable of downloading for days while consuming 10watts of power (electricity costs are expensive here in my country)

iceman26

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
does this technology apply to downloading as well? because i want to have a desktop that is capable of downloading for days while consuming 10watts of power (electricity costs are expensive here in my country)

iceman26

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
this is my first to comment here at tomshardware, so pardon me for double posting, i guess it has something to do with their system

just don't hit refresh after submitting a comment. Hitting refresh simply re-submits the comment and you end up with a double post.As far as a low power downloader... Just slap together a cheap Atom based server. Throw a few HDDs on there and a copy of linux and just leave it on and downloading all day and night. Atom takes very little power, and is sitll more than powerful enough to download an internet stream and serve up content to the network.

tabascosauz

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
WOOHOO! Get ready boys and girls for a 8-core Haswell-E CPU that will set you back a mere $1500! Oh, and the X99 motherboard you asked for will cost $400 for the basic, basic model! Oh and don't forget the DDR4! That's going to cost you $500 for a set of 2x4GB! Have fun!I mean, as nice as it all is, why don't we wait until the prices come out? I have a feeling Intel is going to slap more than just a $50 price premium on this 4790K just for -K and Broadwell compatibility. Seriously, if i7 hits $400 I might as well just bail on the whole Core boat and go with stupidly slow FX-8350 or jump on the Xeon E3 boat that offers identical performance to the Core i5s and i7s for sometimes more than $60 less. I guess I'll be waiting on the E3-1230 V3's successor, whatever it might be called.It's nice to see Intel show us LGA customers a little love with the unlocked Pentium (hooray for the Pentium 3s and 4s!) and socketed HD 5200. As long as Iris Pro LGA doesn't come with a ridiculous price tag and massive hit to L3, I'm happy.

Jaroslav Jandek

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
Yes. You just have to enable Away Mode to go to the C7 power state.

PSU does not matter. You just need a motherboard, CPU and OS that supports the C7 power state.

IP phones (using MagicJack as an example) no longer need a computer and can simply be plugged into an Ethernet or USB port at the back of your router. My understanding is they also have a power-line Ethernet adapter.

AND, have we as a society developed such a high level of ADD that we are incapable of waiting 5 seconds for a computer to wake from a 4w sleep state ??

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
just don't hit refresh after submitting a comment. Hitting refresh simply re-submits the comment and you end up with a double post.As far as a low power downloader... Just slap together a cheap Atom based server. Throw a few HDDs on there and a copy of linux and just leave it on and downloading all day and night. Atom takes very little power, and is sitll more than powerful enough to download an internet stream and serve up content to the network.
A E7200 or E8400 works as a nice Atom substitute.This article covered that fairly decently though they didn't optimize it's efficiency completely they could have gone further with undervolting and underclocking. They could have underclocked it to the same clock speed of the Atom and undervolted it as low as possible or to the same voltage as the Atom. Also a E8200 would have been better in theory due to the 6MB cache.http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-atom-efficiency,2069.htmlHere's a example of how low you can undervolt/underclock a E7200 my Gigabyte motherboard monitoring tool says it consumes between 3 to 4Watts though I don't believe that is factoring in the board chipset which is also undervolted.

Status
Not open for further replies.