Intel Proves Merged Reality Concept; Project Alloy 2 Will Have All New Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
>(Have you been there in a VR demo? Shuffling your feet, hands outstretched, apologizing to anyone you might poke as you try and reach some virtual object without crashing into the physical wall you’re pretty sure is right in front of you? I have.

Chaperone is supposed to keep that from happening, and does for me as long as I don't turn it off. The Rift offers something similar, since it's absolutely essential to room-scale VR.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Indeed. But I've seen many untethered demos that have nothing in the form of a chaperone system. Further, although the chaperones are great, I always move too fast for them to help me. And so...I make careful, careful, careful movements and lose immersion. :/

v0maru

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
Ive had 2 gold rated silverstone psu
Unfortunately, silverstone never reply my emails for troubleshooting

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
the new version will have a discrete GPU.
Wow!! That's the real scoop! I'm dying to know which one!

Did Intel finally decide to make their own? Are they using Imagination/PowerVR (I know they've used them before)? Mali? Anyone else would be a direct competitor. Even Mali is a slight stretch.

some company has an exclusive on the first Alloy HMD. Determining which company would be little more than wild speculation at this point,
Lenovo could be it;
I'm betting it's Dell or HP. They're always trying new stuff (remember the "sprout"?), but I haven't heard anything from them about VR.

As for Lenovo, they already made a Tango phone. So, that puts them in Google's orbit. The Tango technology really belongs in a mixed reality HMD. That's where it'll really shine.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Yeah, I've been scratching my head about the discrete GPU. But they could go with a mobile Nvidia chip...bada bing bada boom, great graphics, small footprint.

Totally agree on Tango--it has no real interface yet. But Lenovo is a company with a diverse portfolio; there's no reason it couldn't do Tango-something and also Intel-something. (Or, they could combine them...stick a Tango camera assembly on the front of that HMD...)

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
It's not that they couldn't, but that they face direct competition from Nvidia, in this market. Tegra is a full SoC, and Nvidia is surely using it in their upcoming self-contained VR reference platform (not to mention automotive & other juicy markets Intel would like a bite of).

Since they're now a foundry for ARM-based SoCs, I think Mali is a bit more plausible (although I don't know if Intel, itself, is currently a licensee of any ARM tech). Otherwise, Imagination (who now owns MIPS) is probably the least-competitive of the premier mobile GPU vendors.

Perhaps it's something a bit further out there, like Vivante. Though, I think a homegrown solution is more likely than any such second-tier GPUs.

One thing in favor of PowerVR might be their claims of realtime raytracing @ 2 W. That would really set apart Intel's solution from everyone else.

https://home.otoy.com/otoy-and-imagination-unveil-breakthrough-powervr-ray-tracing-platform/

blackbit75

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
I love the VR news. The mixed reality it seems the more natural fit to the market. The microsoft Hololens seems that will be fantastic, and other products like that.
To become a success VR should always have the option of having cameras to show whats on the real world. May be a panic button, to disable VR and show the real world, so you don't have to wear off the glasses.

shane_50

Commendable
Dec 11, 2016
I hate the term mergeredreality just sounds horrible xr gives that cool feel and marketing it would be easier than mergeredreality worst tech term ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.