Intel quad-core atom z8350 vs Intel dual-core Celeron N3060

Solution
Benchmarks seem to have the two CPUs as roughly equal. The Celeron appears to be better for Linux because it can run off a standard image while these particular Atoms apparently need community built custom images to get certain features like HDMI audio, Wifi and Bluetooth to work. For that reason, the HP Stream might be the better choice for you.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
the celeron is only 2 cores, a bit faster but 2 cores only at almost 2.5ghz in turbo

the atom is 4 cores at almost 2ghz each one in turbo

if the atom comes with 4 gbs of ram, i would choose it

the atom for daily tasks is great, i had one, if it didn't died i would still be using it after 2 years

the problem that model of the first link has is those 32 gbs of hard disk, that is not a ssd, it is a emmc, a cheaper and slower version of ssd, after formating ityou will have 28 gbs of free space, minus the space windows takes you quickly end without space, that means that you won't be able to update windows confortbly, if at all is possible, no one this days should buy a windows pc with a ssd or any storage media and only 32 gbs of storage space

of course you can put a microsd in there but is not for windows so is just another problem

the celeron link, i can't open it i get access forbidden, if it is a laptop with hard disk, perhaps is the only real option, if it is another emmc with 32 gbs of space, i wouldn't buy any of those

Be aware that neither laptop has much internal storage, these laptops are meant to compete primarily with the Chromebook market, so you get a tiny SSD big enough for the OS and some basic programs, and any storage has to be done with external drives or a cloud storage service. If you need more than 32GB, these aren't great computers. The Celeron on the HP Stream is basically a glorified Atom, so don't expect great performance out of it. From personal experience, they struggle to run Windows all that well. Linux probably would work better provided you're not using a distro that's too bloated or filled with features you don't need.

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
I am going to install Lubuntu on the disk...which is the lightest Ubuntu variant...I am basically wondering which CPU will perform better for multi tasking...like opening multiple Tabs in chrome...opening pdf documents and IDEs...I already have a dell laptop with i7-7700HQ and a Desktop that I built for gaming....I want this laptop for mobile use...

So you are saying the Atom CPU performs better for what I want ?

Benchmarks seem to have the two CPUs as roughly equal. The Celeron appears to be better for Linux because it can run off a standard image while these particular Atoms apparently need community built custom images to get certain features like HDMI audio, Wifi and Bluetooth to work. For that reason, the HP Stream might be the better choice for you.

Solution
Just an FYI, that Celeron is also Atom-based. It's higher clocked because it has fewer cores, but it uses basically the same cores.

"N" CPUs are all Atom. E.g. Celeron N3050, Pentium N3700.

My opinion, Atom is trash. It's a lot better than it used to be, but even quad Atom will struggle with web browsing and basic multimedia at times.