Intel quad dynamic core speed?

slyphnier

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
hello

i tried to find the answer on the web by looking specifications on intel website and other sites

but none of them fully give me the answer, so i am thinking experts in here can help give the answer

i just found out that my core speed (i am using intel quad Q9550) didnt stay on 2.83Ghz instead it dynamically change between 2Ghz - 2.8Ghz range, based on daily usage, i havent check under 100% processor usage though, Is that normal?

is there a way to keep (set) the processor to always on 2.83ghz (box speed value) ?

thanks before for the answer

Solution

Intel has a technology on that CPU called "Enhanced Intel SpeedStep (tm) Tech." that lowers the core speed automatically when under idle or light load and raises it to full...

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002

Intel has a technology on that CPU called "Enhanced Intel SpeedStep (tm) Tech." that lowers the core speed automatically when under idle or light load and raises it to full 2.83Ghz during heavy load. The reason for this is to save power and does seem to work just fine unless you happen to OC. Sometimes OC'n and this Tech. does not mix well.

So if you do not intend to OC and your PC is doing everything you want it to do I'd recommend you to leave it set as is. If you feel you just have to have it running at 2.83Ghz all the time you can.

Your mother boards CMOS usually has the ability to allow you to disable this. Do that and your CPU will run @ 2.83Ghz all the time.

Solution

slyphnier

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
thanks for the answer everyone

the reason i want to disable that ability, is because i want to check whether there is performance difference or not (especially in pc response)
but after reading the answer from here and reading more about speedstep, it seems leaving it on is the best

thanks again