Intel Quad Ethernet PCI-E x4 in 2nd x16 slot - not detected?

ALEX0264

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2014
Hi,

As per the thread title, I have an Intel Quad port PCI-E ethernet card that I have just installed, primarily so I can bridge the connections and have 1 in and then the 4 for various outputs (i.e. laptop etc.).

I have installed it into the second PCI-E x16 slot on an ASUS H270-M motherboard, with my graphics card in the first one. Unfortunately Windows 8.1 is not detecting this card, and I cannot see anything in the BIOS that I can adjust or even check that it is detected.

The chip on the card is an Intel 82571GB, which from what I can see isn't supported above Windows 7. Also, could the H270 chipset be a limiting factor? Either way, the fact it isn't listed in device manager makes me think its more of a hardware issue...?

Solution
Yea it is probably a hardware issue. It is a 13 year old NIC card man lol. It might be due to such an old PCIe version even though they are usually backwords compatible. I know like on Dell they only allow 1 version back. So if it is a PCI 2.0 you are good for 1.0 but for their new ones with PCI 3.0 you can only do 2.0. 1.X devices will not work but usually with these kind of board makers they support all the way back to 1.0
Yea it is probably a hardware issue. It is a 13 year old NIC card man lol. It might be due to such an old PCIe version even though they are usually backwords compatible. I know like on Dell they only allow 1 version back. So if it is a PCI 2.0 you are good for 1.0 but for their new ones with PCI 3.0 you can only do 2.0. 1.X devices will not work but usually with these kind of board makers they support all the way back to 1.0

Solution

ALEX0264

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2014

Wow, thanks for the info. I had no idea it was that old!

Perhaps I might have to scrap this idea then.

ALEX0264

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2014
If I set the PCI-E from 3.0 to 2.0, is it likely that this will enable the card to work? It's currently installed in a Dell Vostro tower with PCI-E 2.0 and works perfectly.