Intel Quietly Releases Skylake-R Core i7, i5 Processors With Iris Pro Graphics And 128 MB eDRAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

MR B0CEPHUS

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016
Nice. I want to build my son a PC for minecraft. A small mini itx pc that can handle some of the mods he likes that are a little demanding. Time to start pcpartpicker list over.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
I wouldn't hold my breath for a 6 or 8 core CPU from them any time soon.

The leaked specs for their flagship CPU, the Kaby Lake i7 7700k suggests that it's going to be the plain old, boring quad core. But hey, it's got 8 threads, which is kinda like an extra core, right? Nope. Logical cores are always suckier than physical ones.

People buying the "K" variants of these processors don't need integrated graphics. They should be using the extra space on the wafer for at least 2 additional cores!

InvalidError

Titan

If Intel made K-CPUs using a dedicated set of chip-making masks from the non-K i5/i7, they would end up considerably more expensive and you would be better off buying an LGA2011/2011v3 CPU instead if you insist on having a CPU which physically lacks an IGP.

Lower-end mainstream CPUs would also end up more expensive since Intel would now have an additional non-interchangeable but highly similar product line to manage.

Afrospinach

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012
The fact that AMD is changing their arch to be almost exactly like the I core's same type of hyper threading as in real hyper threading and more single core performance but with a lot more cores then intel this could be bad for Intel considering their Moore's law of advancement is come to an end and they are still sticking with quadcore as even mobile devices have hit 8 core as a standard by end of year. Intel will either adapt or fall behind considering they been on 14nm node for a long time now and still no more cores yet AMD on 28nm node has had up to 16 cores for servers and 8 cores for consumers they claim up to 16 cores for consumers by 2017 lets see the multicore race go more.

You do know if there was a market for "moar cores" intel could have that tomorrow, right? It would involve a sticker change, nothing more(chipsets not withstanding).

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/xeon/xeon-processor-e5-family.html

Now I am just going to go back to watching 2 of my four cores sleepwalk their way through minutiae 90% of the time. This multicore apocalypse has been a long time coming. Why now? If anything it looks like this is going to become less of an issue with the advent of DX12.

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
My i7 consistently is using 4 cores for gaming. Not sure what crap game you are playing.
Or those of us who do more than just game. But for those of you game AND stream, you can easily chew up 4 cores plus 4 hyperthreads or worse. If you do even more (Premiere, Maya, etc) then you likely already know about the 6/8core E-series or even the Xeons with 10 cores and such.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
I get the impression these kinds of chips are more aimed at low level business needs. A basic pc for the office would be happy with the 6685r for most things. Any other use of these is a waste of money considering what you could do with either a SB or BW k chip.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Only 50 GB/sec makes me sad. I think this will still be a bottleneck for the 72-core GPU. I'd have preferred if it was directly connected to the GPU at double that speed or more.

On the plus side, I guess there's no hardware constraint preventing the CPU cores from using it. But 128 MB isn't much, these days. Hopefully, their OpenCL driver is optimized to make good use of it.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I would rather know the computing units instead of frequency on graphics. I know they will vary between 500 and 1500 MHz to temperature and energy needs to match the load. The important factor for techies has not been frequency for a while.

#BAUniC

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Iris Pro 580 has 72 Execution Units, which is 3x the number in standard Skylake CPUs. Yes, it would've been nice if the article had confirmed that with Intel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_graphics_processing_units#Ninth_generation

Also, the fast SKU only clocks its GPU to 1150 MHz. The clock speed does matter, because a given number of Execution Units can only do so much work per clock cycle. But I think you mean the # of EU's is more important than clock, which is correct.

https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/c5/9a/The-Compute-Architecture-of-Intel-Processor-Graphics-Gen9-v1d0.pdf

Check out section 5.8.

Status
Not open for further replies.