Question Intel(R) 82567LM-3 gigabit problem.

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
So i have been trying to fix this issue in my brothers computer, its actually for like researching and etc.
So i tested the cable that was connected from the switch to the pc at my ps4 and my own pc and it works fine, tested all the ports on the switch with different cables works just fine as well.
First time i opened the device manager to take a look at the driver for the chip, it had the code 10 error so i disabled it and reenabled it and the driver worked.
Problem is, am not getting any internet on that computer, the port that is connected with that pc the light on it blinks for a sec and then its gone.
Am leaning towards saying that the chip on the motherboard is dead now or something? it keeps trying to connect but then gives me the error.

Any help will be appreciated.

I would try drivers from intels site. You could also try the motherboard manufacture. Unless you set it to not download drivers windows update will many times load generic crap microsoft drivers rather than the ones for your nic.

It really doesn't sound like a driver issue. The negotiation of the speed etc is done at a very low level in the hardware not really done so much with drivers. Many times you get the lights but it just does not work when it is a driver issue.

There are not many setting. Try to make sure everything is set to the default values if you can. Some things to watch for would be an form of power savings on the ethernet. I would boot it into the bios and see if there are any ethernet setting in their that might affect it.

What you may also want to try if the mother board has the option is to set it to do a PXE boot. You do not actually want to boot it from the network your goal is to see if the nic gets a connection to your switch. This would kinda show if the port was good or not.

PXE boot is a way to boot a computer off a central server rather than having the OS installed locally on the machine. It in effect boots your computer off a remote hard drive. It is something that is only used in very special cases.

Still you only need it to partially work in your case to test. The BIOS itself will bring the ethernet port online and then ask the DHCP server...ie your router...for a IP address. So this will test the cabling,ports and some very basic part of the network. Since you have not booted windows it can not be affected by any driver. It is only using whatever ethernet support is built into the motherboard.