[SOLVED] Intel (R) PCIe Controller (x16) - 1901 for ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E?

sk8ernut.dw

Prominent
Dec 8, 2018
I saw drivers that are for my motherboard through device manager. I usually download drivers for my motherboard straight from ASUS website but here's the thing. Windows 10 installed this cuz I decided to check and see if it does need updates due to the fact I used to have Driver Easy software back in the day and I don't use it anymore.

intel(r) xeon(r) e3-1200/1500 v5/6th gen intel(r) core tm pcie controller (x16) 1901 is the driver I saw. I am confused why this says 5th/6th gen when I own a 8/9th gen motherboard? Is this a mistake? Let me know and explain me why this PCie Controller is designed like this? Is this part of Coffee Lake motherboards? Thanks..

Solution
Windows has default drivers and if it has newer ones, which it may, it will install them. Intels checker just checks to verify you have a late enough driver. I have had a few times where it didn't give me the latest driver. That driver itself would be part of the chipset driver package normally.

As it is you should be fine. I personally always keep mine as up to date as possible as even the updated Windows one might be a tad behind.
The PCIe controller itself has not changed for a while. You can still download the newest driver for the chipset from Intel or Asus as I am sure the Microsoft one is out of date but I doubt it is going to change the name since again the controller itself hasn't really changed for quite a few generations.

sk8ernut.dw

Prominent
Dec 8, 2018
I clicked on Device Manager and it just says PCI to PCI bridge and I decided to update the driver and it did install this specific driver
I thought it was the wrong driver
I even went to ASUS website but there isn't a driver for this so I figured Windows 10 can take care of it. INtel software ran a software check and said I don't need drivers so why did Windows decide to install these drivers if I ran a update check through their channel? Is this a mistake? Should I update or just leave it be?

Windows has default drivers and if it has newer ones, which it may, it will install them. Intels checker just checks to verify you have a late enough driver. I have had a few times where it didn't give me the latest driver. That driver itself would be part of the chipset driver package normally.

As it is you should be fine. I personally always keep mine as up to date as possible as even the updated Windows one might be a tad behind.

Solution