Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan House

Reputable
Apr 13, 2015
I have an HP Pavilion DV2726ca. I had absolutely no issues upgrading to windows 10. But there is one problem I discovered after wards everytime I would put my Laptop to sleep and then waked it up and signed I would have no internet connection. I would have to right click the wifi symbol beside the clock and toubleshoot it the wizard would reset my wifi adapter and it would start working again. I wish there was a way to stop it from not being able to connect. what would make the wifi adapter need constant setting? laptop came with vista. I had windows 7 installed didn't have these issues. just wish windows 10

Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
Inside device manager
Driver Provider Microsoft
Driver Date 8/15/2010
driver version 13.3.0.137
digital signer Microsoft windows.

shouldn't Intel be providing the Driver for my Wifi adapter? doing the troubleshooting all the time is a pain it doesn't take too long but if I could get help fixing this issue it would be much appreciated

lluther

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Go get the Intel "PROSet/Wireless WiFi" drivers AND utilities. Windows 10 couldn't see my 5G network but the "Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility" saw it. I had tried everything and this utility swept my problem away and it displays a fantastic array of information, like what variants of WiFi are available for each network (801.11a,b,g,n) and speed (currently 270Mbits showing rather than the 54Mbits before).
Have fun.

indian messiah

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015
i think the win 10 in box drivers ( dated 2012. 13.3.xxx) for the wireless causes bsod problems . the solution is to revert back to the 2009 driver which comes with windows 7 ( 12.xx.x)
However this driver isnt available easily so i have retired it form my windows 7 installation and post it here. install this drivers and report if these solved wireless problems for u http://www.mediafire.com/download/lxvks6f4j3b4qh6/Intel%28R%29_Wireless_WiFi_Link_4965AGN.rar

rseiler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
I think you meant 2010 (2010-08-15, 13.3.0.137), but it'll be interesting to hear reports of whether the 2009 version doesn't require disabling the Device Manager NIC power setting (and the advanced 802.11n mode setting) for stability. If so, it's probably worth using instead.

rseiler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
@indian messiah, that driver isn't signed, so it can't be installed, at least not without disabling driver signature enforcement, which I certainly don't want to tangle with and may not even work in W10 anymore. Do you have the original version?

mc4bbs

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012

Ryan, as it says on the webpage:

DRIVERS ONLY: Wireless_15.3.1_Ds64.exe
Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software (includes Drivers): Wireless_15.3.1_s64.exe

Windows 10 has it's own WiFi Software, so there shouldn't be a need for anything but the DRIVERS (smaller file).

Note: This driver did NOT resolve my BSOD problem.

rseiler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Which I think makes sense because that's the regular "latest" driver from 2010.

The 2009 driver may be the key, according to a post a couple back, but unfortunately it's not a signed driver.

indian messiah

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015

yes disable signature enforcement and install... the latest inbox wifi drivers for win 10 has a flaw resulting in the disconnect problems ...

i reverted back to win 7 to test the last released intel drivers and the same problem happens in win 7...

however no such problem occurs with the win 7 inbox driver dated 2009. This is the driver windows 7 installs by default. Thats what i have provided ,,,furthermore i was able to get max speed too.....

rseiler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009

And the BSOD problem too, the most important of all, according to your original post. Is that still true?

You're not making any changes to the driver settings in Device Manager, with the possible exception of the power-related one?

But it's a major problem to have to disable driver enforcement not only every boot but possibly after coming out of sleep/hibernation, too.

indian messiah

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015

no i want u to test the drivers i provided in win 10 and report here... as far as i know i was able to disable driver signature enforcement permamently on the insider builds. not sure if this si the same for the win 10 stable builds. The only thing is to try it out . right click and install the driver INF file

rseiler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009

This is for a friend, and it's a big deal getting over there to do this, especially with the driver signature thing (which is not permanent in Win10, I know that for sure--Insider builds, possibly, but he doesn't run those, and most people reading this thread don't either).

So your saying "no" is apparently in answer to my question about whether the 2009 driver stops BSODs? Or is it in answer to my second question about whether you've made any changes to the driver defaults? It's important to know.

indian messiah

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015

Well i have stated i am on win 7 now. But the latest drivers dated 2012 also causes disconnects and BSOD in windows 7 ..
The 2012 drivers is what Win10 uses as inbox drivers. I am on win 7 w now with 2009 drivers and no BSOD or disconnect.
I have not tested the 2009 drivers i provided in win 10 yet. I cant go back to win 10 to test it just for this experiment as i am on stable win 7 needed for my work So i need others to test the drivers .

proobably u need to disable driver signature enforcement in windows 10 to install the driver...

overall i am pretty sure there is a problem with the drivers in windows 10 .

rseiler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009

OK, I didn't catch that you were back on Win7.

I did notice your Nov 29 message though where you linked to a v12.4.4.5 posted on Dell that you liked very much on Win10. No one seemed to follow up with that information though, possibly because it links to a 32-bit driver (the text on their page at the top saying that it's 64-bit is wrong).

Then recently you mentioned that you reclaimed the v12.4.1.4 from a Win7 installation, but that's the unsigned one.

So I went looking on Dell a little closer and found an actual 12.x signed driver. Specifically, v12.4.3.9. So, it's a little older than the first one you mentioned but newer than the second one you mentioned. Still 2009.
http://www.dell.com/support/home/sg/en/sgdhs1/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=R239284

Anyone want to give it a try? I would, but it's my friend's system and I won't have it for a while. Hopefully, it works at the proper speed, and most importantly, won't BSOD Win10.

indian messiah

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015

yeah it could be i used the dell drivers which are closer to the 12xx drivers on a previous occasion which i lost memory of ...thanks for pointing it out

i am not sure how dell name their drivers... but the one i have on win 7 is 12.4.1.4 (x64) and this i had provided on the mediafire link . if u need the 32 bit drivers u need to retrieve them form a win 7 x32 installation using 3rd party driver software that can retrive and save drivers.

regarding speeds on win 10 , using anything less than the 13.3 drivers gives only half the speed . thats the problem . On win 10 if u want the max speed u cant use the drivers dated 2007 .

The 12.4.1.4 drivers gives me max speed on win 7, it should be the same on win 10 too..

again i am sure there is something wrong with the intel drivers which are dated after the 2009 versions because they are also known to cause problems on win 8.1 installations

rseiler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009

Yes, but a signed version of 12.4.1.4 is unavailable. With any luck, v12.4.3.9--the lastest v12.x (64-bit) that Dell seems to have--the one that I linked to, is just as good.

For anyone wanting to try it, it's easy to do. The EXE is a self-extracting file, and inside you'll find a Drivers subdirectory that you can point Device Manager to. There's also an "Intel PROSet Wireless.msi" inside that you could run if you want the extras, but it's unnecessary.

indian messiah

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015

so how is the dell drivers working on windows 10??

Randy_28

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016
Go to the properties in the device manager - Select the network adapter - Intel wireless wifi link 4965AGN - Right mouse - Select Properties -Select the Power Management tab - Uncheck (Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power)

It worked for me. Give it a try. Randy G...

indian messiah

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015

this is an unrelated problem

we are talking about the BSOD and other intermittent disconnects on the adapter under windows 10 .

NASRAIDRecovery

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013

Hello to all of you

Some months ago I've installed in a row windows 7 x64 and updated it straight to windows 10 on a SONY VGN-AR71S

I've seek for all the most updated drivers versions and about the Intel 4965AGN wireless adapter,

the right ones for my case, have been the original drivers taken from the Intel's website.

I have instantly removed the Microsoft ones (neither checked the versions) to install the original ones taken from the Intel's website.

So since months I'm running the latest Intel's drivers (about the drivers versions, looks like that me and Spacey123, have discovered the same issue: it is listed as "15.3.1" but ends up with this:

13.4.0.139 10/7/2010 Intel

Who care :) also in that case I didn't paid attention to versions.)

Until now I had NO one single BSOD, but I confirm that if I power-cycle, the WI-FI connection restores, instead, if I hibernate, it doesn't.

Yes annoying.

Until today, I enjoyed the win+x keyboard combination and every time I went to disable/enable the WI-FI NIC, but this morning I tried to find a solution and found this thread.

Now I try to disable the power saving (for the sake of information, it is the last tab in the NIC configuration properties) and let's see if it rise any BSOD issue.

I'll update you A.S.A.P.

Robert
Technical Manager @ RAIDDataRecoveryFAsTec (Italy)

NASRAIDRecovery

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
As promised ,

this follows up my previous post of june the 2

I have disabled the power saving feature

Until today I had no one single BSOD and it works like a charm

Every time I resume from hibernation, I have my WI FI network perfectly reconnected

Robert
Technical Manager @ RAIDDataRecoveryFAsTec (Italy)

indian messiah

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015

well this solves the disconnect problem but not the BSOD problem under wndows 10

Cucho

Commendable
Nov 14, 2016
My Wifi card adapter is an Intel Wireless WIFI Link 4965AGN

I have been working with Windows 10 without any issue since I updated my Lenovo R61 laptop from Windows 7 (keeping programs and configuration).

It was only recently after installing W10 again from scratch when I got the Blue Screen error:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (netwlv32.sys)

I have contacted to Microsoft Help Service but the answer I just got it was "your computer does not accept Windows 10", that was not true because before buying the W10 licence I tried Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit with a successful result.

Just disabling 802.11n mode I skipped having issues any longer.

Thank you Spacey123!

Jose Rodriguez, Spain

Status
Not open for further replies.