[SOLVED] Intel RAID 0 failure, both disks visable in bios. Only 1 disk remains in the RAID.

kablash

Reputable
Sep 10, 2016
I've tried to look for answers, but none seem to apply to my situation (from what I've found)
So I've had some PC issues this morning. It started with the PC not starting at all (no lights, no fan power). I fixed this with a CMOS clear. This in turn made my RAID fail.

RAID is enabled in the bios settings.

Both disks visable in bios (picture). I will be using the SATA spot as names for the disks to tell them apart. There is disk 4 and disk 5.
J9SLbve.jpg

The RAID window in bios. Only disk 4 remains in the RAID.
jEMheEP.jpg

Intel Rapid Storage window in bios. RAID is failed. And disk 5 is seen as non raid disk.
WNFy9xm.jpg

From what I've searched, since both disks are visable in bios, I should be able to recover my files. But how would I go about doing so?
-Would a RAID recovery software be my best option? If so, which one?
-Do I delete the raid and recreate a new one? (Wouldn't that remove all the information on the disks?)
-Somehow repair the link between the disks? Is that a thing?

Thank you for any help I can get!

Solution
Tried shutting it down completely and powering backup? (Win8/10 users can hit the Windows Key+X, then U, then U)

The shutdown on the start menu button only does a hybrid sleep so fastboot will work.

kablash

Reputable
Sep 10, 2016
"RAID 0 failure"

RAID 0 should never ever be deployed without a known good backup.
Yes, I agree and I was actually going to backup the data. I'm doing an almost full PC upgrade soonish and I was going to buy an external harddrive as a backup for the raid. Unfortunately this happened before I was able to put that into place. I sure learned my lesson though.

Now I don't have anything super important on the raid, and I won't loose sleep if the data isnt recoverable. But I would absolutley prefer to recover it, it would save me some headache.

S Haran

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2013
RAID0 recovery can be easy if the drives are healthy. You might check the SMART status of the drives before proceeding.

RAID recovery software like DMDE is very inexpensive and should do the job. R-Studio and UFSexplorer are other popular choices. All you need to know or guess at is the stripe size and drive order.