News Intel Raises Pricing for 12th-Gen Alder Lake Processors, Now More Expensive Than 13th-Gen

PCWarrior

Distinguished
May 20, 2013
I wonder whether this move is to make 13th gen look better value now that the lower end 13th gen parts are going to be released and are going to be compared to their predecessors. Also this may intend to create an artificial sense of urgency to consumers to BUY NOW while the retail prices are still low and have yet to adjust to the higher prices.

Reactions: prtskg

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
this may intend to create an artificial sense of urgency to consumers to BUY NOW while the retail prices are still low and have yet to adjust to the higher prices.
It was reported last summer that Intel warned its channel partners of impending price increases on Alder Lake, likely for that very reason. At this point, it's probably too late - the warning already came and served its purpose of trying to stem the losses in that bloody quarter and now Intel can say "we warned you". Maybe there are a few retailers who have yet to reprice their CPUs, but I'm guessing any new orders submitted to Intel will be fulfilled at the new prices.

I wonder if it could have anything to do with the Sapphire Rapids ramp up. Intel said the manufacturing process for Raptor Lake was slightly improved (let's call it "Intel 7+" : ) so maybe those are on a different production line than SPR and not immediately competing for fab resources.

Last edited:

cyrusfox

Distinguished
FYI, I just got a 13700k at Antonline through their Ebay channel for $399(new), they are selling the 12900k for $379.99. For whatever reason their chip prices are a bit cheaper through Ebay..

https://www.ebay.com/str/antonline
As the 13700k outperforms the 12900k on every metric, except the packaging :) and no need to update bios on 600 series boards, it is impossible for the 12900k to maintain a higher actual market price than the 13700k.

Reactions: bolweval

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
As the 13700k outperforms the 12900k on every metric, except the packaging :) and no need to update bios on 600 series boards, it is impossible for the 12900k to maintain a higher actual market price than the 13700k.
For those wondering why anyone would still buy a 12th gen part, let me direct your attention to this specs comparison:

We see the 12th gen part advertise several features the 13th gen equivalent lacks:
  • Intel® Optane™ Memory Supported (irrelevant, in practice - it's expensive, was already hard-to-find, and now discontinued)
  • Intel vPro® Enterprise
  • Intel® Threat Detection Technology (TDT)
  • Intel® Active Management Technology (AMT)
  • Intel® One-Click Recovery
  • Intel® Hardware Shield Eligibility
  • Intel® Total Memory Encryption - Multi Key
  • Intel® Total Memory Encryption
  • Intel® Stable IT Platform Program (SIPP)
  • Intel® Virtualization Technology with Redirect Protection (VT-rp)
In other words, it's likely that enterprise customers will eat the higher cost and stick with the older, slower 12th gen models.

edzieba

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2016
This news suck. The i5 12400F has been a mainstay for budget builds.
Well good news! Budget builders only had to remain in a quandry for a couple of hours, as the i5-13400F is now listed for a mere $4 over the pre-price-bump 12400F RRP, for an extra 4 E-cores and some other improvements (double L2 cache, 400MHz boost clock bump).

Reactions: Why_Me

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
The steady cost reduction of electronics used to be the one thing that pushes inflation down. Now we're seeing this kind of price increases. On a previous generation part no less. And while demand is severely depressed.

PCWarrior

Distinguished
May 20, 2013
Well good news! Budget builders only had to remain in a quandry for a couple of hours, as the i5-13400F is now listed for a mere $4 over the pre-price-bump 12400F RRP, for an extra 4 E-cores and some other improvements (double L2 cache, 400MHz boost clock bump).
No. The 13400F is $196. This is $2-$12 higher than the NEW price of the 12400F. The new price of the 12400F is $184-$194 whereas its original price was $167-$174. So yeah there is a price hike of $22-$29 gen over gen. That is 12%-17% higher.

Reactions: Why_Me

TRENDING THREADS