AlphaStorm

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Everybody knew that Bulldozer's performance wasn't top notch, in fact it could only just edge out the i5 2500k in some tests. But the thing is that due to Bulldozer not having that extra performance Intel have taken advantage of this, thus raising their prices because there is no real competition. Now in UK stores I have seen Intel CPUs go up in price by £5-£10, especially the unlockables cpus. The i5 2300 has gone up by £8 as well. There are quite a few stores where this happened as well.

That makes the i5 2320 the cheapest i5 you can get, at £140 with 3.0 Ghz. Thats why I'm buying it.

But how could Intel do this? Why would they raise their prices? For those people who saw the Overclock 3D review of the FX 8150, the reviewer said that "I wanted AMD to wipe the floor with Intel, because now Intel don't have much competition, they will raise their prices."

And if AMD doesn't step up their game with Piledriver, we COULD be in trouble. Intel might start selling crappy dual core pentiums for £150 if AMD does not improve. Okay, I exaggerated a bit there, but still.

So what do you think of this? I personally we should give some support to AMD because if we don't support the competition then bad things like this could happen.

I mean, the FX 8150, to be fair, is not a bad chip. In fact, due to most of its development being during Intel's first gen Quads, it could actually compete and even beat most if not all of Intel's first gen quads. But then, Sandy Bridge came.

But even then, Bulldozer would not of been so bad if AMD would not of set the bar goddamn high. If they would've said "Hey guys, we have the first eight core CPU. It is great for multi threaded applications!" then they wouldn't of been hated as much. But them saying "WE HAVE THE FIRST EIGHT CORE CPU AND IT PWNS INTEL EXTREME PROCESSOR AND IS WAY FASTER THAN ANYTHING INTEL HAS. BULLDOZER IS ABOUT TO MAKE YOU ITS BITCH. SUCK IT DOWN." really just ruined it for them and that is why it got drab reviews, as rightly stated by Elric Phares of motherboards.org

SO what do you think about this whole situation. Intel raising their prices, AMD overhyping Bulldozer etc. And by the way, AMD and Intel fanboys, I don't care what you are a fanboy of, but don't post here.

Intel or any manufacturer generally do not increase the price of computer components unless the cost of manufacturing increases. It is likely that the retailers have decided to increase the prices based on demand and the performance perception. Also online stores generally uses AI programs to determine prices for items sold on their sites based on demand and also based on price fluctuations in other competing stores.

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
when intel raises or lowers prices its self you can find an article about it.
infact intel lowered a few prices about a week after bulldozer came available.

from anandtech "On top of the launch of i7-2700K, Intel has also reduced the prices of three CPUs: i3-2120, Pentium G850 and G630. As the naming suggests, these CPUs are lower-end desktop models. The new prices are $117, $75 and $64 respectively. The price cuts range from 13% to 15%, the biggest cut being i3-2120's $21. "

4745454b

Titan
The problem we might see if Intel shifting resources from desktop development to mobile chips. They've been talking about competing with ARM, and they could shift people into working on that. In this case they won't raise the prices, but we'll see a stagnation on desktop CPUs.

Basically Tick - Tock would end.

Chad Boga

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

Haven't these prices rises been by retailers, rather than Intel?

AlphaStorm

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011

I found an article on it a few days ago (but because I'm an idiot, I forgot what website it was on). They tried to contact Intel but they didn't respond, as I read.

To help my Bulldozer case I found this in the Hardware Heaven review of the FX 8150.

As is normally the case in this industry it has been clear for some time that AMD were working on a successor to their Phenom 2 X6 range, a new product which would take on the latest Core i5 and i7 CPUs on Intel's socket 1156 platform.

There is a small chance that is a mistake, but like I said, its a small chance. And that statement is true - mistake or not. Bulldozer was made to tackle socket 1156. But AMD delayed it too much.

EDIT: The price rises weren't in the lower end range. The CPUs that Intel raised the prices of were Sandy Bridge i5s. Those were the CPUs that AMD's Bulldozer was fighting against.

AlphaStorm

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011

Yep, they were by retailers. But the thing is that the UK hasn't taken such a big hit. I read that prices in several retailers in the rest of Europe on the sandy bridge cpus had gone up, some by even 16 euros. I don't think all the retailers got together and said "hey, lets raise intel CPU prices!"

Chad Boga

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

When the reviews of Bulldozer came out, it was pretty obvious that many people who had been holding off on getting a new system would now do so, and it sure wasn't going to be a Bulldozer system, so you would have had a spike in demand for Intel processors in the $200+ range.

In the face of surging demand, Economics 101 tells you that prices will rise, so you don't need for retailers to get together to work this out.

And Intel releases official pricing of its CPU's, if you can find where they have increased their prices on the high end SB's, then perhaps you would be on to something.

So Intel raised the prices in the UK and Europe, but not US.
I5-2500k still $215 and I7-2600K still $320 (Notnal price, sale priced around $15 less). Prices from newegg.com.

Intel is NOT kind hearted and raised their price so as to allow the AMD to look more cost effective. When pigs fly, Intel will begome kind hearted.

Have not heard of any OEM price increases (in 1000 lots) for intel consumer CPUs.
Yes, stores can act in concert when it is to there benifit. They have cost margins also.
If they see sales slipping or moving to a lower margin AMD CPU, you will see that increase come back down.

If any one bothered to click on links they would have found out that some places have reduced prices. :sarcastic:

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

i hope you're right because i've been looking for a new build lately and the fact that the hard drive prices shot up from £40-50 for a decent 7200rpm 1tb drive to now £90+ and you are still only getting 500gb is holding me back, and intel doesnt help by upping the 2500k's price by a couple of pound every fortnight or so.

It's always worth doing a bit of digging as far as the price gouging accusations go. And Scan.co.uk are lowering prices not raising them, for those who can't be bothered to check.

beenthere

Distinguished
Intel will exploit customers any way they can. I personally vote with my wallet and moral compass thus refusing to buy any Intel product based on the multiple convictions for violation of anti-trust laws where they tried to illegally eliminate all choice for consumers, not to mention Intel's multi-time convictions for U.S. tax fraud. What an unscrupulous company Intel is based on reality.

If everyone voted with their wallet Intel's prices would drop and consumers would be the winners. An Intel CPU is worthless if perople won't buy it.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2120866/intel-antitrust-claims-dismissed

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
CPUS are bought in Dollars the dollar is quite high at the mo and on top of that prices rise up till Christmas..

Hard disks have over doubled in price of recent weeks due to the flooding in Asia and Thailand - where hard disk motors are manufactured - a 1tb was around 40 quid trade and now its around 95.....

Ram has gone up in price by £2 a stick..

so dont blame this on intel over amd...

Mastervivi10

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
...Guess I'll drop this too? :sol:
JF-AMD.jpg

But kidding aside, I disagree that AMD's results affect Intel's pricing.

neonneophyte

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
world economy is tanking. everything is getting more expensive. give it a couple months. EVERYTHING will be more expensive. i was watching prices for a good 8 months before buying my pc a couple months ago. i cant help but feel i purchased at the exact right time.

Mastervivi10

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
...Neon I wouldn't want to call you a conspiracy theory mad man... But you are half right on that... Aldo Memory Card prices have gone down so guess will eat DDR3's when the Economy collapses.

Okay, that's nice... but it really doesn't have anything to do with this topic.

The price increases are done by the retailers. Intel has no involvement.

diamount

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Hopefully that means AMD lowering their prices. If their equivalent to the 2500k cpu is cheaper then that, then I'll be getting that one.

neonneophyte

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010

not only is it more expensive. its not *nearly* as efficient or oc capable under regular conditions. not to mention its only able to keep up in certain scenarios. not ones your typical pc user cares about either

i love supporting amd. i really do. i prefer amd give intel the run of a lifetime because intel has the bank to do r&d until theyre back on top. intel is way on top right now.

i do however still buy amd videocards. theyre fantastic.

diamount

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

Hopefully they see sense and drop at least drop the price tag by £50-70.

TRENDING THREADS