Intel Ramps Additional 14nm Manufacturing Facility To Address Shortage

chimonow

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Maybe they should cut down on the number of chipsets they have? AMD has 3 and that is enough. Z390 is a complete waste of resources and brings almost nothing to the table.

Sep 15, 2018
Prices aren't plunging for dram, I doubt this shortage will be felt much. Probably 60% of people are fine with amd and some prefer it.

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014

Yeah, but for all you know it was an iterative development that cost them almost no investment to roll out but allows them to sell more chipsets. In fact I would bet on it.

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
These new modems are small, as outlined in iFixit's iPhone XS and XS Max teardown that it posted today

How do you figure? It's the biggest chip in the picture. The last generation 7460 had a die size of 70mm2.

Intel's average die size shipped is only 100mm2. Even if the 7560 is only 50mm2, lets say with 140 million units sold, that's going to increase Intel's wafer requirements 30% overnight as the previous generation was using TSMC's process!

emv

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2013
Couple questions:
1) I think Intel told people they were making 100% of Apples Modems... so 50M might be the number. DO you know tht Qualcomm has some business on Xs Modems?
2) Intel has been shipping from Vietnam and most products are qualified. I think this is more formal decision on something that has been possible. do you think test facility is the limiter on 14nm?

eye4bear

Honorable
Jul 12, 2018
Unless I missed something in this article, which to me almost comes across as an Intel infomercial, it fails to say who caused this, self inflicted?, problem in the first place. It is not like this is Intel's first day at the rodeo. What if AMD's chips had not turned out to be as good as they are and more PCs were still being built with Intel chips. This problem would be even worse than it is. Finally, to be clear, my personal home computer is an intel i5, so I am not a AMD fanboy.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Their 10 nm production has taking unreasonably long to bring online. They planned around having that capacity available, when deciding how much 14 nm production they would be running.

Combine that with a strong economy and Intel's first meaningfully faster CPUs in a while (i.e. 6-core Coffee Lake and upcoming 8-cores - both of which are *bigger dies* = fewer per wafer) and I think you have a recipe for something like this.

P.S. if AMD's chips had been weaker, I'd bet Intel would not be bringing 8-core chips to the desktop, right now.