Intel Rapid Start and Intel Rapid Storage

DAVID CARABOTT

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
QUESTION RELATES TO DELL XPS 9530 WITH 32 GB SSD + 1TB HDD: My model comes with 16GB system memory. It has a 32GB mSATA drive intended to be used for Intel Rapid Start and Intel Rapid Storage. The mSATA is partitioned with 8GB for Intel Rapid Start and 22GB for Intel Rapid Storage. However, Intel clearly documents that you need a partition equal in size to the system memory for Intel Rapid Start to work. This makes sense because what it is doing is writing an image of system memory to the SSD. Consequently, Intel Rapid Start does not work on the midrange XPS 15 9530. I noticed this because it starts slower than my old Inspiron 15 with its Crucial SSD. Unfortunately, one cannot fix this by repartitioning the mSATA. If you dedicate 16GB on the mSATA to Intel Rapid Start, only 14GB remain for Intel Rapid Storage, which requires a minimum of 18.6 GB to work. IS THERE ANY FIX TO THIS APART FROM HAVING TO CHANGE THE SSD WITH A LARGER ONE?

popatim

Titan
Without upgrading the SSD its pick one or the other - you're not getting both.
Sorry

edit - actually if you are running 32 bit windows you can only access 4gb of ram and that would work fine.

Or if running 64bit you could remove 8gb of ram and then benefit from both technologies also.